What do these two words mean?

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by hockeygirl_leafs07, Jul 19, 2004.

1. hockeygirl_leafs07

hockeygirl_leafs07 Active Member

In the sentence: "...a prakticky snikym se nebavil", I'm trying to translate it but what would "snikym" mean? And the word "magor"? I've seen it before but can't find it in the dictionary.

I translate the same newspaper articles over and over again to remember czech words, I've only been learning for around a month but I've actually have learned a lot.

2. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

"s nikým" are two words, meaning "with nobody". "Nikým" is declined from "nikdo" (7th pád).

Magor is something like dumbhead or so... Lister calls Rimmer "magor" in the Czech version of Red Dwarf (originally smeg-head).

3. hockeygirl_leafs07

hockeygirl_leafs07 Active Member

Okay, so it was just a typo, then the sentence is something like: "he virtually spoke with nobody" ?? That's the sense I got from it,
    Thanks you so much for your help...MAGOR!!!! just kidding :D
    Eh, you're probably like :roll:

4. 180group

180group Member

ok....dont laugh because my czech is very elementary! so what is the difference between:

byste chteli and je pan

OR

byste chtela and je pani

i hope i didnt embarass myself! :oops: :wink:

if i was speaking to a woman at a store and i basically wanted to be polite to her which would i use?

5. nikdo

nikdo Well-Known Member

Okay, so it was just a typo, then the sentence is something like: "he virtually spoke with nobody" ?? That's the sense I got from it,

"... and he (really) didn't talk to anybody"

6. nikdo

nikdo Well-Known Member

:?:
    What exactly would you like to tell the shop assistent?