What is a conjure woman party??

Discussion in 'Culture' started by paulthevol, Apr 29, 2005.

1. paulthevol

paulthevol Active Member

My Czech friend said she was going to a conjure woman/women party this weekend. What is that? She said it was a Czech custom!

Paul

2. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Might she have meant "witch burning"? It takes place on 30.4., lots of fire included... I know nothing more, sorry.

3. paulthevol

paulthevol Active Member

Halef,

Here's what she said, "and on saturday evening is some conjure woman party in Czech... it is old tradition - burning of conjure woman!!!"

So maybe your witch burning comment was right on! What is behind this tradition? What takes place during this tradition?

Paul

4. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Hmm, witch burning... It used to be a part of old folklore - brooms were set on fire and thrown into the air. I don't think this is what your girlfriend has in mind. I'm mystified. Please keep us informed.

5. destra

destra Member

Hi,
    your friend very possibly meant "burning witches" It is very old tradition. Centuries ago people believed that there were invisible witches flying all over around them and also believed that the witches' power was strongest at night on 4/30 to 5/1. Therefore they used to set big bonfires on the hills to scare witches off. We have bonfires on this night till these days. But now it is not really about witches it is more about people getting together, singing, sitting around the fire when it is finally starting to be warm again as winter is gone. You should go with that friend of yours to experience it, not just learn about it. If you go, have fun!

6. Leah

Leah Active Member

May Eve is Beltane, and it is celebrated by building huge bonfires (among other things) to celebrate the goddess and the coming of spring; I find it interesting how Judeo-Xian traditions have manifested from older traditions and put their own "spin" on them - from witches celebrating Beltane to witch burning - just another example...Destra is right, though, it is a fun night no matter what you are celebrating