What is the size of....... ?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Petronela, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    Was going through my Czech recipe books trying to put together what I want to try (and ruin) to bake for Christmas and I have another “what is the size of…” question.
    - if a recipe asks for “sacek pernikoveho koreni” just how much is it in let’s say grams or tsp?
    - “5 sacku vanilkoveho pudinku” seems like a lot if I picture jello pudding boxes. So how big are Czech vanilla pudding bags?

This one is not for sweets, just cooking in general ….. what in the thunder is Vegeta? Is it like Australian Vegemite (yeah I think I butchered it’s spelling) spread?

On a side note I really wish people would stop using packaging size in recipes, don’t they know manufacturers love to shrink size so they can claim they are not raising prices.

Anyways …. If someone could give me at least an approximate answer I would very much appreciate it.

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

3. wer

wer Well-Known Member

www.vegeta.com :D

Mine too, and without exception.

My bag has 50 grams, but this could vary, I think.

4. Petronela

Thank you eso and wer. Very sweet of you guys :)

5. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

The mine are 37, 40, 45, 47, 60 g 8) (official weight on the bag)
    all for 1/2 liter milk

6. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

with regard to the pudding - what the fellas say matches what i know - but i just wanted to mention, that i'm not sure if the jello pudding mix includes sugar or not??? the czech pudding powders don't - so if the jello mix does, you might need to cut down the amount of sugar you add to something that calls for a "bag of czech pudding" ... as a rule, the czech pudding mixes call for 2 to 3 tablespoons of sugar for the 1/2 litre of milk

the pernikove koreni i would say you would need to mix your own???? best bet would be to find a different recipe that specifiees the proportions of the different spices...

it's usually some combination (depending on producer) of cinnamon, star anise, cloves, cardammon, coriander, fennel, anise , ground allspice ....

7. Petronela

Thank you so much all.
    I'll go with Meluzina's advice and just play with the recipes a bit to see what tastes best.
    And I believe you are correct about Jello mixes having sugar in them already, I didn't even think of that.
    Once again that you so very much! You guys are a lifesavers.

8. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Should you find it difficult to come across vegeta, Mrs. Dash is a close American subsitute.

9. Petronela

Awesome! Thank you :)
    I love Mrs. Dash, so I guess it means I like Vegeta without even knowing what it is :p