What was the comman language used in ...

Discussion in 'General Language' started by slherford, Aug 14, 2007.

1. slherford

slherford Member

Navsi in the late 1800 / early 1900's? Ii have old, old papers of my great-grandparents, and I am having a little trouble translating parts of them. I get the general idea of what it is and says, but thats it. It looks like its part Polish, part Czech. A good number of these were dated 1936 (just before they left for Canada). If you can help me out, I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you!
    Sonya

2. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

in "Navsi"? And where would that be? Can you write down a sample of the text?

3. slherford

slherford Member

Sorry, Navsi is Czech Republic ... Great-grand's were both born there, but as I understand it, it was Austria at that time. Also, I have a postcard that my grandma had and she said it was their town ... the postcard says "Nyhyttans Badanstalt; Jarnboas" (with two dots over the first a, and one over the second a in the last word). They were born in 1888 and 1893 ... the papers, like I said are dated late 1936.

Also on one paper (I believe something like their Certificate of Good Character - the title of the paper is Vysvedceni (marks over 1st e and c) zachovalosti. Swiadectwo moralnosci (marks over the s in both words).

It is signed Ad. Mrozek and under the signature line it says " starosta obce. naczelnik gminny.

There is also the official seal of the Village of Navsi.

Great-Grandpas Christening and Birth Record (copy, I assume since he was born in 1888) was dated 1936 and has Republika Czechoslowacka in the upper corner.

So ... does that help?

I am pretty lost here. Grandma was 9 when they came over, so she's pretty broken with her reading, and says she's better with Polish? I've been taking what she can give me and looking things up online, and am piecing some things together, but it's tough when I really don't speak the language at all.

Thank you again!
    Sonya

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

5. slherford

slherford Member

That IS interesting, I'll have to ask Gram about that. That is the same postcard that I have! However:
    This IS the village that I am referring to. I wish I could read the history on the site though. I have looked at it, but it's a foreign language to me (literally). However, I DO know that this is the right place. My gram's problem is that she speaks (or understands ... don't know which) better Polish than Cesky. But her older sisters speak and understand Cesky much better, so I have no idea :) Hence, my issue.

I wonder though ... maybe because it's so close to the border, they do like Canada ... print in both French and English? I dunno ...

Sonya

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe that in that region are - for example - signs in Czech and Polish, bud definitely not Swedish :)

Návsí is today part of bigger municipality Jablunkov.

Here is history of Jablunkov in English:
    http://www.jablunkov.cz/cizojazycne/soucasnost_en.html

I found this, too: This is old map Navsi, from Austria-Hungarian empire era

7. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Návsí u Jablunkova is situated in (historical) Silesia. There lives large polish minority there (about 20% polish nationality in Jablunkov) and Polish is the second official language here. You can see bi-lingual names on the shops etc.

Järnboås is a place in Sweden and definitely has nothing to do with Návsí.

8. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

This area was the subject of the so called 7-day war between new Czechoslovakia and Poland. (23.1.1918 - 31.1.1918)
    In 1939 Poland occupied this part of Czechoslovakia at the same time Germany occupied the border region of Czechoslovakia (October 1938) and the Czechoslovakia was splitted up.