Withdrawing cash in Prague

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by KirstenB, Nov 14, 2005.

1. KirstenB

KirstenB Member

Hi, can someone please advise on how easy it is to withdraw cash from ATMs in Prague? Are there many of them available and are the charges very high? i have a Maestro Card. Also, for a five day break i am planning on bringing £250 (£50 a day) - should this suffice if i am not planning on eating out in expensive restaurants every night?

Thanks!

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Not only is it very easy (ATM's are everywhere and you can select English as your operating language) but it is also the best way to get the best exchange rates. I just got back from Prague and I had a great time for about $50USD a day spending money.

3. KirstenB

KirstenB Member

That's great thanks for the quick reply! i think i'm rihgt in saying 50USD is equivalent to roughly £29 so hopefully i should still have some left over for shopping...

woudl you recommend i take travllers cheques or is this time consuming for such a short break?

4. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother with checks - some places don't take them

5. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

The best is cash and credit card, they're accept everywhere. Travells cheques are not so common in Czech Republic, so maybe you will have problems paying with them.

6. KirstenB

KirstenB Member

Thanks, think i will definitlely just stick with cash and cards. K x

7. valleyman70

valleyman70 Member

I also intend to use ATMs this time too - Kirsten I seem to remember there are some as you enter the arrivals hall in the airport if you need them immediately for transfers etc.

8. asc

asc Member

Kirsten - just to second other follow-ups. I was in Praha and other parts of CZ in September and found ATM's are very common and most easy to use. Good exchange rates. I paid about $5 USD for each transaction, so found that taking more funds out at one time saved money overall, in terms of bank fees. I found I didn't really have to bring any czech currency into CZ, since ATM's are at Ruzyne and other area's throughout Prague. I used a Travelers Cheque (debit) card, but only for paying for hotels. Visa/Mastercard were the best choice in terms of ATM use. Cheers - Scott

9. KirstenB

KirstenB Member

Great thanks. i bet that i lose my cash card now... that would be typical!! k x