women and drinking alcohol

Discussion in 'Culture' started by iluvuma1, Jan 10, 2005.

1. iluvuma1

iluvuma1 Well-Known Member

Are women discouraged/frowned upon in the Czech Republic from drinking alcohol? Is it normal for groups of young women to go out to pubs and drink beer/socialize?

2. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

There are no restriction in this matter. It is perfectly acceptable for women to order drinks in public whether alone or in company.

3. Malnik

Malnik Well-Known Member

Czech women can party as much as English, Australian, American....etc etc etc...no one bats an eye lid.

4. Paint

Paint Well-Known Member

In a similar but opposite vein... I have a question... are friends offended if people they are socializing with are not drinking?

5. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Yes, this can happen. I do not drink, so I've rubbed up against it often myself. However, after multiple offers and incredulous questions like, "You've never tried our Czech beer?", most Czechs I socialized with eventually understood that I wasn't drinking for personal health reasons, and that it had nothing to do with them.

6. iluvuma1

iluvuma1 Well-Known Member

With beer being so popular in CR, I wonder if many people such as yourself don't drink out of fear of health/social risks, Sova. Is alcoholism widespread, and if so- is it publicly addressed by health authorities?