Wondering what there is to drink that is not BEER...

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Ink4u2, May 7, 2007.

1. Ink4u2

Ink4u2 Active Member

At the chance of offending you who love your beer, I have a legitimate question for those of us who do not, or cannot for medical reasons drink any alcohol...

I want to drink water unless there are other soft drinks or non sugared drinks available...I do not like mineral water and have been told most bottled water you request will be mineral water, or soda water...I prefer tap water but have also been told that the Czech people will think you very strange should you try to drink tap water? Any suggestions please? I love coffee with cream, ice tea (not sugared), and diet soft drinks...

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Yes, Czechs think it is weird to ask for and drink tap water at a restaurant. They will typically oblige you if you ask for it, but they will often look at you funny. With coffee, you shouldn't have a problem. Iced tea is probably not going to be easy to find over there (Czechs and other Europeans don't often drink iced drinks, period). Hot tea is common, and you can order it anywhere. Diet soft drinks ..., I'm not sure, but 10 years ago, they weren't too common either.

3. Ink4u2

Ink4u2 Active Member

Thank you, I was warned about no ice in the drinks and that they drink most everything at room temperature. We are quite spoiled here in that regard...I wondered if they have diet soft drinks like diet Pepsi or Diet Coke available as they do many places in the world...can anyone enlighten me on that and if that is very pricey to ask for in a restaurant?

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

5. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

May be you could try the alcohol free beer (nealkoholické pivo). It is produced now in many breweries and should be available everywhere.

BTW being in USA I had sometimes real problems to get the drink without ice :)

6. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

There is every kind of soda in Prague - ask for "Coke Lite" if you want diet (Lite is the operative word - Diet doesn't exist over there). You might even want to try a local "Kofola" - a little different but, that is what travel is all about. Most of the time the soda is pre-chilled and comes with a small bit of ice. You can ask for more ice but it probably isn't needed (I never ask for more now)- my general impression is that they don't want to give you more ice so you aren't cheated out of the full amount of beverage (although not so true when they sell you a whole bottle or can - then they just think it's weird that you want to water down a perfectly good drink). And, as a last note, Lite drinks cost the same as regular. Enjoy your stay - you will find everything you need (and then some) in Prague.

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Well, maybe it’s because it’s illegal. :wink:
    The seller isn’t allowed to adulterate the drink in any way before the serving (it’s a transgression of measurement standards and deceiving the buyer according to trade law).
    And in particular, serving of drinks with ice in it is a transgression of hygienic standards.
    It’s only allowed to serve the drink and ice separately, or mix it in customer’s presense and with customer’s permission.

8. Ink4u2

Ink4u2 Active Member

Fantastic information! THANKS to all who replied to me! I appreciate your input and will try to do some different things, like someone said, that is what travel is all about...the new and different! I got a chuckle out of the reply saying they had a hard time getting drinks in the USA without the ice! Too funny! It's all in what we are used to drinking and doing, isn't it!

Chuckle....

9. Ink4u2

Ink4u2 Active Member

Also, I'm not trying to be the "fussy American" visitor when I go...I am diabetic and have to have all un-sugared food and beverages as much as I am able to that is....so if the Coke Lite has no sugar in it, then that is what I can have!

10. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Nancy,

eso had a useful suggestion. You can get a good idea of what drinks are commonly served in Czech restaurants by looking at the drink menus posted online. To do that, just type or paste "nápojový lístek" into Google and you'll get a bunch of Czech restaurants listing their drink menus on their websites. If you're looking for non-alcoholic drinks, those will be under the "Nealkoholické nápoje" or "Nealko" heading.

Unsweetened ice tea is very hard to find in Czech restaurants. What you'll normally see are the really sweet bottled (and flavored) ice teas such as the Lipton brand. Needless to say, they are usually served with no ice. So much for the concept of "ice tea".

Regarding kofola, I just want to mention that it contains sugar. I don't think it comes in the lite variety.

I found it interesting to read your comment about the Americans being "quite spoiled" with regard to having their drinks served with ice. I am Czech and I actually don't like ice in my drinks. I don't even like to drink anything pulled right out of the fridge. I prefer my drinks served at room temperature. As you also pointed out, it's all in what we are used to.

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

:lol: Yes, I can see that happening. And there's no law about watering drinks down in the U.S., and so they do, wherever possible.

12. Ink4u2

Ink4u2 Active Member

Thanks again for the help, I do aprpeciate your suggestions so I can do a little research a head of time. Yes, we are all different and as they say here in the USA..."Variety is the spice of life!" :lol:

13. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

you said you don't like mineral water or soda water - if it is because of the bubbles, there are many non-sparkling varieties avaialble - look for "neperlivá" (non-sparkling) - most of them taste like regular water to me - of course, if you have other reasons not to like it, that's different - just that me mum used to want plain water as well, and i usually bought the neperliva for her at home...

14. Ink4u2

Ink4u2 Active Member

The Neperliva is not sweet then? I will try that option as well! Everyone has been very helpful! THANK YOU! :D

15. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Neperliva means "no sparkling" - it's normal water without bubles - it's not directly related to sugariness.

But generaly - "neperlivá voda" means normal water without ingredients.

16. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Neperliva means "no sparkling" - it's normal water without bubles - it's not directly related to sugariness.

But generaly - "neperlivá voda" means normal water (no soda) without ingredients.

17. meluzina

neperliva means non-carbonated - you will find it flavoured and unflavoured - the most popular brands that i can think of are "Dobra Voda" and Bon Aqua. Also, you will find some that are just lemon or orange flavored - but not sweetened

18. meluzina

sorry eso - didn't see your post before i opened the reply box - didn't mean to counter your reply in any way :D

19. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Generally - by EU law - on product package has to be printed list of all ingrediences. Sugar is "cukr" in Czech.

But it doesn't help in case of restaurant meal.

20. Ink4u2

Ink4u2 Active Member

Plain old water with lemon flavor sounds wonderful! You have all been so nice and helpful, I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the suggestions and information! I'm very excited about seeing the gorgeous CZ in July! :)