Zizkov TV Tower - What's Happening?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by roobarb, Jan 31, 2007.

1. roobarb

roobarb New Member

Hi all,

Just a quick post - I've been looking at some photos of Prague on the internet recently and have noticed that the tapered top section of the Zizkov Tower seems to have been removed. It's the final piece of the white covering, directly below the red / white striped transmitter section at the very top.

Does anyone know why it's been removed? Is it going to be replaced? I'm wondering as the tower has got to be one of my favourite buildings, so I thought I'd better check up that it's being looked after! ;o)

Thanks for any info.

All the best,

Andy.

2. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

No idea :?:
    There is nothing in the official tower pages and I have foung nothing about it anywhere else. They may install new aerials (??), the CR is starting to rebuild its analog TV network to a digital one.

3. roobarb

roobarb New Member

Aaah, digital TV. If they're fitting digital broadcast kit then that would explain why they've removed the stand-off poles that kept the cone in position. It's a bit of a shame, because the cone just finished off the rocket-like appearance nicely. :eek:)

Odd that there's no word on their website though. I would have thought that there's more people than just me who are interested in what's happening to the place.

While I'm here, I don't suppose anyone knows if the model of the tower (from the unveiling before construction) still exists? Just wondering if it was on display somewhere, although given the opinion a lot of people in Prague have of the tower, I doubt it! Hmm, unless it's in the entrance lobby of the tower itself...?

Thanks for your response, Karel_lerak - let me know if you hear any more!

Cheers,

Andy.