1851 Bohemian census

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by Leslee Green, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Leslee Green

Leslee Green Active Member

How can I find the 1851 census for Bohemia?

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Hardly, the first two real censi are from 1857 and 1869 (but in Hungaria, including Slovakia, there was a census in 1851).

There were conscription lists made by Army up to 1851, but they were secret at that time, and now they are mostly lost. You can find them rather in Austria, but the odds are not good.

There were also population books obligatorily kept in every municipality of conscription up to 1851, but they are mostly aimed on the male population. These are mostly stored in local archives, some are lost.

You can try also some unofficial censi, the aristocratic families organized often censi on their demesne. But they are not necessarily managed by the state nowadays. I heard at least about population books owned by Schwarzenbergs.

Leslee Green, you can hardly find comprehensive census for 1851, but possibly you can find some particular informations (e.g. aggregate data for the whole Bohemia, records in a particular region/municipality etc.).
    So, what exactly are you looking for?

3. Leslee Green

I am looking for any information about my ancestors. Joseph Michael Gubka was born January 1833 in Svetec Bohemia. His father, Andreas Gubka, was born there Oct. 1796. I am looking for members of the Gubka
    families and Andreas' wife, Anna Maria Blur. According to what I have learned the name Gubka was also found as Kaupka, Kaubka & more.
    Andreas and his wife Anna Maria entered America in 1869. Any thing at all may be the information I need.

4. wer

wer Well-Known Member

I suppose you mean Světec nearby Bězvěrov you wrote about somewhere else.

You can try to contact local authority for Světec in Bězvěrov (e-mail: bezverov@iol.cz) or its superordinate local authority in Manětín (e-mail: posta@manetin.cz), but your records are too old. I guess they are only in state archives.

State district archive Plzeň-sever (SOkA Plzeň-sever, e-mail: soka-ps@soaplzen.cz) is in charge of Bezvěrov, its superordinate state regional archive is SOA Plzeň (e-mail: podatelna@soaplzen.cz).

5. Leslee Green

Wer I wish you many Thanks.