Adapters & electrical converters

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by livs2laff, May 17, 2006.

1. livs2laff

livs2laff New Member

I am so confused! I ordered an adapter for my trip to Prague from the USA so I can plug in my hairdryer and straightening iron but would also like to charge up my iPod while I am there. Do I need more than an adapter?

The blowdryer is 1800 watts, the straightening iron is 180 watts and the charger is 0.5 watts. How do I know or where can I research if I need more than an adapter. These are all TWO pronged items.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

You will need an adaptor for all plugs (two prong American to two pin Czech). Unless your appliance or charger is rated "dual-voltage" or says "120-220V" somewhere on it, you will also need a step-down transformer. You can get them online, at travel stores (usually in the airport) or even sometimes at Wal-Mart. They are also available at the Tesco store in Prague, if I'm not mistaken.

3. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

4. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I don't know if our adapter wasn't the greatest or what, but I found in CR that my hairdryer didn't work as well. While in CR, I had to blow dry my hair on high to get the same power as when I blow dry it on low in the US. You might find it better to purchase a battery operated blow-dryer and curling iron. Then you can use it camping or anywhere. You can find them at Rite-aid and sometimes Walmart. I've also found a traveling curling iron that uses lighter fluid (butane). It works quite well. I got that at Rite-Aid Pharmacy. I've not seen a battery operated straightening iron but they probably exist. You might try searching online for one.

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

another thought - you might consider buying a hair dryer and curling iron at Tesco or Carrefore - not expensive and will work great.

6. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Simplify your hairdo for vacation. Let your hair dry naturally. :)