Adverbial woes, help!

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by Calvario, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Calvario

Calvario Well-Known Member

Budu pracovat na cizích slovnících, a zvlást na tom novém anglicko-českém.

I will be working on foreign dicionaries, and especially the new English-Czech one.

I do not underdstand why English is anglicko with an "O" here. I see how Czech is declined in the prep. form(6) But I don't see where the "O" comes from. Now, these do fall under Masc. inanimate correct?

Secondly: Takový solidní slovník velmi potřebuju.
    I very much need a dependable dictionary.

The above is taken from my work book. Why is takový used here. I'm sure it makes sense some how. Dicionary says it's a pronoun. such,like this/that.

Is velmi like saying " REALLY" need. Since it is an adverb? I reall need a dependable........ Also, slovnik is declined here in the accusative and solidni in declined as an adjective in the accusative also correct?

I know this is long, however I just want to make sure I am understanding and not gloss over things that I'm not sure about.

Thank you,
    Calvario

2. MK

MK Well-Known Member

"anglicko-českém"
    It is only one word therefore it has only one ending to be declined.

Other examples: Československý (Czechoslovakian), tmavomodrý (dark blue)

Takový solidní slovník velmi potřebuji.
    takový slovník = such dictionary ( such (kind of) dictionary)
    solidní slovník = dependable dictionary
    takový solidní slovník ~ such (kind of) dictionary which is dependable
    Whole sentence: I very need such (kind of) dictionary which is dependable.

Velmi
    velmi: very, much, a lot
    really: opravdu, skutečně
    I need such dictionary a lot.

(Ona) je opravdu hezká. She is really beautiful.
    (Ona) je velmi hezká. She is very beautiful.

3. Calvario

Sounds good. Though it is rare to say "I very much need..." We normally say "I really need..." to express this thought.

One thing, I would still like to know if " solidni slovnik" dependable dicionary is being declined here because of the verb "potřebovat" Are they in the accusative? If not ,why are they not declined? This is important to my understanding.

Thank you,
    Calvario

4. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Yes Calvario==in my humble opinion(non czech do not forget)
    Solidni slovnik is in the accusative.
    Potřebuji nový solidni slovnik.

Masculine accusative nouns are same as nominative.
    Adjectves ending in i are same as nominative too.

Žena stojí ve frontě, protože chce vidět moderni uměni, které je v novem museu moderniho uměni..
    The woman is standing in line(loc.) because she wants to see the modern art(acc.) which is in the new musuem(loc.) of moden art(gen.).

5. Calvario

Well Scrimshaw, I think you understood what I was trying to get at. The nominative and the accusative are the same. The examples posted were helpful, yes I know "your non czech opinion", and were what I was leaning towards.

The post by MK noted that anglico-českém is one word. I'd like to know then why the dash?

Most importantly though, above all. Where is the question mark in the Czech (QWERTY) keyboard. I just got windows XP so I can type Czech accents.

Thanks,
    Calvario

6. scrimshaw

italian-american, german-american--surely just the same concept.

Hledám v antikvariem starý anglicko-španělský slovnik,, protože bych chtěl přeložit Don Quixote.
    Ta stará slova najdu jen v starém anglicko-španělskem slovniku.

shift-comma

7. MK

MK Well-Known Member

These words are called "složená slova" ?compound words?.

With dash vs. without dash
    There are two reasons for writting dash:
    1. When exists coordinate relationship between words. In this case dash replaces "a" (and).
    technicko-hospodářský ="technický" and "hospodářský"
    vs.
    zahraničněpolitický = zahraniční politika
    2. When you want express that you are speaking about relationship between two (otherwisely unrelated) words.
    česko-americké vztahy, česko-německý slovník

Some examples:
    fyzikálněchemická laboratoř= lab for physical chemistry
    fyzikálně-chemická laboratoř= lab for physics and chemistry
    severní Amerika -> severoamerický

In the last years of Czechoslovakia Slovaks wanted to rename the country to "Česko-slovensko"(Česko-slovenská federativní republika). They wanted to put both parts of compund word on the same level because they thought that "Slovensko" is somewhat subordinate in "Československo" (in fact: from grammatical point of view the subordinate part of word was "Česko" :) ). Czechs were against it because word "Česko-slovensko" express less unity than "Československo". Resulting name was compromise: "Česká a slovenská federativní republika".

8. wer

wer Well-Known Member

The suffix "-o" is typical for first part of compound words.

zloděj
    čaroděj
    polotovar
    malotraktor
    modrozelený (or equivalently zelenomodrý)
    vlnolam
    kočkopes

Maybe, it's comparable with English Afro-American.

MK just wrote about the usage of hyphen, but I want to add my attempt:

with hyphen ... separable connection (both parts equivalent)
    without hyphen ... inseparable connection (1st part is accessory, 2nd part is essential)

e.g. modro-zelený × modrozelený

It wasn't only question of last years of Czechoslovakia. The dispute started 1916 and emerged during every political transition.

The Czech name used for this dispute is "Pomlčková válka" (=Dash War). It is funny because in fact it was a "Hyphen War" (this name is used in English). The Czech word for hyphen is "spojovník" (from "spojovat" = connect) and the Slovak term is "rozdeľovník" (from "rozdeľovať" = separate). Just imagine this linguistic problem in connection with nationalistic passions :twisted:.

For about one month, there were two official names:
    the Czech one ... Československá federativní republika
    and the Slovak one ... Česko-slovenská federatívna republika

After the month, Slovaks noticed that Slovakian part is subordinate because it is not capitalized and the dispute started anew :twisted:.

The final result was "Česká a Slovenská Federativní Republika"/"Česká a Slovenská Federatívna Republika". It's grammatically incorrectly capitalised in Czech and even in Slovak :D.

9. scrimshaw

To je zajimavé přibeh o pomolčkovou válku.
    Aspon během tu válku nikdo stratil své život.
    Poslouchal jsi nikdy o malou a kratkou valku na Středni Amerikě mezi Honduras a Nicaragua. Začinal kvuli futbolovému soutěži.
    Myslím si, že se to stalo někdy během 1980's.
    Vysledek valky, nic kromě početu zbytečně smrtů.

o to connect compound words. :idea: :!:
    zlýl čin==zločin

Podívej si na hezkou červenofialovou oblohu jak se během zapadního slunce světlo odrazí od mraků.

10. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Ne, všichni přežili :D. Slovo válka je tu velkou nadsázkou.
    Není v tom Nicaragua nevinně? Já mám dojem, že to bylo mezi Hondurasem a Salvadorem. Rok 1969, tuším. Ale třeba to tam v té oblasti bývá častější :twisted:.
    This is correct, but odd.

"Nic kromě" is correct, but better is "nic než" (~ nothing but).

In English, "number" means "big number". In Czech, it is'nt so. We need to add "velký". Maybe, using of "mnoho" (= a lot of) is safer.

"Smrt" means "death" and it is usually uncountable. "Úmrtí" (= demise) is countable, but it sounds very formal. Another useful vocabulary:

zbytečně padlý (=fallen)
    zbytečná oběť (=victim)
    zbytečně ztracené (=lost) životy (=lives)
    zbytečná ztráta (=loss) životů
    Yes, the word "zločin" was created in this way, but the modern meaning is a little modified (zločin = crime).
    Červenofialová obloha? Konec konců, proč ne :D! Ale obvykle mluvíme o červáncích (červánky = red twilight sky).

"Západ" means "west" (noun) or "sunset". Analogically, "východ" means "east" and also "sunrise".

This is faultless in Polish:

east = wschód (=sunrise)
    south = południe (=noon)
    west = zachód (=sunset)
    north = północ (=midnight)

The adjective "západní" is used only for cardinal point. For "sunset", you can use adjective "zapadající" (but it doesn't work with "během").
    zapadající slunce = setting sun

11. scrimshaw

Ano, wer== I s mymi chyby rozumíš dobře, co myslím.
    Mnoho ztracený životy byl výsledek pošetilé valky mezi El Salvadorem a Hondurasem. Nicaragua byl uplně nevinně.

A zas máš pravdu, to se stalo v roce 1969, ne v devátínáctset osmdecátých.