Big weekend

Discussion in 'Culture' started by dzurisova, Feb 2, 2007.

1. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

This is a big weekend for those of us in the States. Today is Ground Hog Day and Sunday is the Superbowl.

2 questions:

1. Do Czechs have something like Ground Hog Day?

2. Have any of you expats found a bar in which to enjoy the superbowl or a way to watch it from home?

2. geauxboy

geauxboy Well-Known Member

COLTS baby! I hope anyway. I'm from New Orleans and would LOVE to see Manning get that "never can win the big game" thing off his back. And the fact that the Bears did a number on my Saints helps my vote too. Even so, I would have rooted for Manning anyway. :twisted:

3. eso

eso Well-Known Member

2 questions:
    Ground Hog Day is recognized in CR (Czech name is "hromnice") but there are no celebrations, as far I know.

If I understand corretly, in USA it's celebration of fact, that winter will soon end.

I suppose, because here normally winter ends later, parallel celebration can be "Vynášení Morany" in march/april.

And for amusement, Czech singsong:

Březen - za kamna vlezem
    Duben - ještě tam budem

:)

4. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

5. dzurisova

Ok, please translate the song. My aweful translation is this:

March: for ??
    April: still there it will be
    So will go ? we will at ?

I know that's pretty bad. Like I said in a different post, I really should study my czech more. :oops:

My 15 year old son would agree. However, since I'm not a football fan at all. I decided to root for the team with the coolest city!! :lol:

6. dzurisova

Mostly the only true celebration takes place at Punxsutawney PA. You can check it out at this website.

http://www.groundhog.org

Schools usually do something about it such as making crafts or watching the event during school. But most adults watch it on the news and then chuckle to themselves, hoping for an early spring. If Phil, the ground hog sees his shadow, there will be 6 more weeks of winter and if not, it will be an early spring.

I remember when I was a young child, I thought it was real. I thought all ground hogs everywhere actually poke out from the ground and look for their shadow and if they saw it, there really would be 6 more weeks of winter. I remember being really sad when I was told he saw his shadow. :cry:

So what is it about hromnice? Is it the same day as the US groundhog day? How is it recognized?

7. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

DA BEARS!!!!

sorry offtopic :oops:

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

March - we will hide behind heater

April - we will stay there

When May will come, we will go to woods

Yes, I know comedy movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107048/

Day is same - February 2, but about recognition - I know only proverb:

Na hromnice o hodinu více.
    On Groundhog Day there is one more hour.
    (it means, that daylight lasts longer)

I'm afraid Czech ground hog has different problems :)

[​IMG]

9. dzurisova

Wow, at first I thought it was about May, but I didn't see Květen anywhere.

10. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Máj is poetic name for květen.

11. wer

wer Well-Known Member

It is coincidently on Februry 2, but there is no relation to Groundhog Day.
    Hromnice, officially Uvedení Páně do chrámu, is a church feast celebrated as Candlemas in English speaking countries. You can read about it in Wikipedia.
    The only additional information for Czech Hromnice is the origin of its name. Hromnice or diminutive hromničky (from hrom = thunder) are church candles lighted during thunderstorms, i.e. the Czech name is analogical to English Candlemas.
    But this is Krteček, a little mole :eek:. Groundhog is svišť, isn't?

We use máj as well, especially in poetry. One of most famous Czech poems is even called Máj.

12. eso

eso Well-Known Member

13. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Maybe it means also a mole, but I rather distrust seznam.cz. The animal in the film Groundhog Day was definitely a svišť.

BTW, there must be some English version of the proverb you wrote about, the film seems be inspired by it.

14. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

According to Hais/Hodek English-Czech Dictionary:
    ground-hog: 1 zool. svišť americký 2 AM slang. krtek kdo pracuje na zemi, pod zemí n. pod vodou, ground-hog case AM beznadějná situace n. naléhavý případ; Ground-hogs day AM Hromnice

15. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

He actually kinda looks like a packrat :wink: . (packrat= anyone who collects all kinds of stuff just for the sake of collecting). Cute little fella ain't he? Is this what eso means by different problems than finding shadow?

16. eso

eso Well-Known Member

No, he had different problem. He hadn't place, where to hide his things. At end of this story he got new trousers, with HUGE pockets and problem was solved. A he worked hard for it ! :)

[​IMG]