Brilliant translation tool

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by Polednikova, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

http://software.seznam.cz/listicka

Don't know if everyone knows about this but I've only just found out about it and it's brilliant!

Install this seznam toolbar and you can hovver your mouse cursor over a word and a little window will open, giving you the translation - either Czech to English or vice versa.

2. bryan_baker

bryan_baker Member

thanks for this post. this will help me learn czech when i'm reading e-mails, messages, blogs, etc...

this is a big help.

3. Polednikova

It's not quite that good in that you have to be in Explorer so you can't use it for emails, unless you cut and paste into something in Explorer. But nevertheless, I've found it very useful.

4. wer

wer Well-Known Member

With StarDict you have to select the text by mouse and press a key which is less convenient but it works everywhere.

Czech-English dictionary for StarDict is available here.

5. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Just a word of warning - the Seznam toolbar is great, but it completely mucked up Firefox. I'm running Mac OS X version 10.5.1 and whatever the newest version of Firefox is...FF started behaving very erratically and hanging all the time...had to restart it many, many times throughout the course of a day until I finally figured out that the Seznam thingie was the problem. Uninstalled it, and FF is back to behaving itself...

6. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

I'm using firefox, and no problems... as of yet. :lol:

7. Polednikova

And I don't know what Firefox is! There are times when it's better not to be too techie!

I'm going to have a go at Wer's Stardict next...

8. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Firefox is a software program used to browse the internet...if you have Windows, you most likely use Internet Explorer, and if you have a Mac you most likely use Safari (both of which come standard with their respective operating systems)...Firefox is a popular alternative to both... :)

9. Polednikova

I understand now. Like Netscape, that I used to have before Windows, which they've just announced they're phasing out. Thank you for enabling me to sound more informed the next time I have a computer discussion with someone!

10. Polednikova

Sorry to be so useless, Wer, but after I've followed your link, what do I do then? I've tried the obvious one - perhaps it's not - but that leads me to a page of Czech and I can't work out what to do next.

11. wer

wer Well-Known Member

OK, I am not Windows user, but I can try to give you a step by step guideline.

First you have to install the dictionary program, not the dictionary itself.

Download the installation file stardict-3.0.1.exe and execute it.

Now, you have to add the dictionaries.

There is a lot of dictionaries you can use including Czech-English one - see this list.

For every dictionary you have to download it, to uncompress¹ it and to move all the files (I guess you can move even directories) to the dic subdirectory of the program directory, such as C:\Program files\stardict\dic\.

The Czech dictionaries in the list above are older versions of this on-line dictionary.

The link in my first post leads to up-to-date version of the very same dictionary:

English-Czech dictionary (3.9 MiB)
    English-Czech dictionary without accents (3.8 MiB)

Czech foreign words dictionary (694 KiB) (This is a different dictionary based on http://slovnik-cizich-slov.abz.cz/.)

And finally you have to start the dictionary program and set the used dictionaries in program options. There are also options for the scanning of the selected text.

¹ I guess this is your problem since the dictionaries are compressed in linux formats. I don’t know wether Windows itself can handle these formats, but programs like WinRar can.

12. Polednikova

Wer, I'm so sorry that I haven't thanked you sooner for all the trouble you went to with this. I have to admit that I took one look at your instructions last night and took fright!

I'll have to run them off and concentrate very hard while I try to do it but thanks so much.