CZ -> EN šlašinky

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by rfp, Jan 2, 2007.

1. eso

eso Well-Known Member

It's Czech slang for "be in jail" and strictly speaking it's equivalent of "making license plates", because - in past - Czech prisoners manufactured paper bags.

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

If your idea of a personalized license plate is one your pa made, you just might be a redneck ...

3. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Chudák bude muset lepit pytliky tři víc let.
    Dělá zas čas, protože se lehci nenaučil první čas, že byl ve věznici.

Někdo před pár dnů tady pošlal přispěvek se seznamem
    of the different case forms of ONI.
    Nemůžu jej ted najít.
    Chtěl bych se jej zopakovat.

Čerti na ženi==Jaká počasi je to?

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Čerti se žení = Devil's wedding -> bad weather - storm/downpour

5. wer

wer Well-Known Member

další tři roky/léta = three more years
    Scrimshaw, we don't use the idiom do time. We use e.g. the verb odpykat/odpykávat (= expiate, pay for, serve time).
    Another useful verb is sedět (sedět ve vězení, sedět za mřížemi, sedět pěkně v teple...).

E.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_declension#Personal_pronouns.

6. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

I should say rather: sedět v chládku or bručet v base

= to be in clink/jug, to be inside/on a long holiday, to do time/porridge
    (according to my Cz-En dict. from 1986)

(sedět v teple pro mne znamená: mít poklidnou - a dobře placenou - práci)

7. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sova, once again a statement I'm not sure many of those in the CR would understand.

8. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

according to a dictionary:
    pa = 1.tati, taťka, tatínek, 2. domorodá pevnost (na Novém Zélandě) 3. maoriská vesnice
    redneck = AM hanl. bílý zemědělský dělník, nádeník (na jihu Spojených států)
    :) :)

9. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Pochází to z vtipu, který by se dal v češtině říct takhle (za předpokladu, že víš, že vězni dělají SPZ-ky a že "personalized license plate" je osobní poznávací značka obsahující třeba jméno nebo jiné slovo, kterou sis nechal udělat na míru (dá se vidět ve filmech) a zaplatil za ní víc, což v ČR prozatím není možné)

Jsi vidlák když...
    ...si myslíš, že osobní poznávací značka znamená, že ji dělal tvůj táta v base.

10. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Každopádně se zdá, že vztah mezi městem a venkovem je v USA ještě mnohem vyostřenější, než u nás :)

11. dzurisova

Then again, those in the CR could just speak Czech, then I won't understand. :wink: :wink: :lol:

12. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

V návrhu zákona o registraci vozidel v ČR tato možnost byla, v zákoně se pak neobjevila. :)

13. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

In short, dzurisovak(-ova), eso understood the joke and translated it to Czech, explaining what a personalized license plate was, and how the play on words worked. He also added that it seemed to him that the relationship between "city-folk" and "country-bumpkins" is more intense than (I assume that means we don't get along as well as) in the Czech Republic.

I'm not sure that I'd agree with that statement, however. One example I can think of (actually from Slovakia), is how the people living in Žilina always made similar jokes about the villagers from the area of Kysuce. Perhaps such sentiments are regional only.

14. dzurisova

Sova, thank you for explaining, although I didn't mean to imply that someone had to tell me what others were saying.

As far as a redneck joke implying a rivalry between city folk and country folk, I would have take a different opinion. I believe redneck jokes refer to the cultural differences of those in the deep Appalachian Mountains compared to the rest of the country. Although one doesn't have to live in the Appalachian Mountains to be a redneck, the redneck customs stem from the culture in the Appalachian Mountains. I was married to a man from the Appalachian Mountains for 10 years. Trust me, it's like entering a whole different country down there. The culture and customs are extremely different. (Please don't think the pics below are how we lived) :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Dvurisovak :D
    Hadn't heard the fartin' for fish joke. That is funny.

And I agree, the intensity of the difference between country and city dwellers in that definition in no way implies animosity, or rivalry

intense difference---clear, sharp, big, well defined difference

16. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I've heard the term redneck applied to certain "cowboys" down in Texas and elsewhere, as well.
    I don't think that is what eso meant. I think he was thinking more along the lines of the cultural conflict you described.

17. dzurisova

Hmmm, my picture of a redneck is people who live like the Beverly Hillbilly's.

Have you seen the Redneck Game? I ordered it for my step-daughter's fiance, who is from the deep south, deep in the Appalachian Mountains. I'll let you know how it is when it arrives.

18. dzurisova

Oh, sorry eso. :)

19. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Yes, I was thinking, what Sova said - deeper cultural conflict, than in Czech republic.

Of course, some animosity between cities and country here exists, too. There are some nicknames too, like "vidláci" for villagers and "lufťáci" for people from city, who holidayng in country. But it seems to me that they are used mostly with humorous exaggeration.

I see these reasons for it:

1. CR is thickly populated. Destances between villages and cities are short. Situation, when people live in village, but work and shop in city is common.

2. Communist politics brought many bad thing, but as side effect reduced differences in living conditions between cities and country. Specifically with cheap public transport, organized excursions to theatres and the like (even though we talk about ideologic tinged plays) and generel support of agriculture.

20. dzurisova

Yes, with America being so large, you see differences in regions, instead of city/country. There are some small differences between regular living and Big City living like New York City or Chicago. But mostly the differences are regional like Bohemian and Moravian. When we refer to a Redneck, they might live in the city (meaning Louisville, KY) or something like that but still be a Redneck.

Also, there are the same humorous jokes between Northerners and Southerners; probably still stemming from the Civil War. My poor ex-husband didn't fit in anywhere, because he was from the South but lived in the North. When he was in the North people jokingly called him a "Stupid Southerner". When he was in the South, they called him a "Damn Yankee".