(CZ>EN>)help 2 phrases

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by rsalc1, May 24, 2009.

1. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

These 2 phrases are from an online article that I found at idnes.cz about a post office that it's being relocated from Sněžec. I just don't understand a few words in each sentence. Would you help?

Původní Česká poštovna na Sněžce, kterou před dvěma lety nahradila nová moderní stavba, zůstane tam už jen několik dnů.
    The original Czech post office on Snezec, ____ two years ago _______________________, will stay there only a few days.
    (I don't know what word kterou refers to, so the entire middle sentence is very confusing for me).

Její vnější vzhled nový majitel zachová stejně jako celoroční postkytování poštovních služeb.
    Its exterior look the new owner will keep the same as a year-long _________________________.

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

3. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

Alexx, thanks for explaining. I am still having trouble getting the meaning of these sentences, so below I am posting a word for word translation and then a regular English translation. Please let me know if there are mistakes. Thanks!

Původní Česká poštovna na Sněžce, kterou před dvěma lety nahradila nová moderní stavba, zůstane tam už jen několik dnů.
    The original Czech post office on Sněžka, which(acc: the post office) two years ago replaced a new modern building(subject), will stay there only a few days.
    The original Czech post office on Sněžka, which a new modern bldg replaced 2 years ago (or which was replaced 2 years ago by a new modern bldg), will stay there only a few days.

Její vnější vzhled nový majitel zachová stejně jako celoroční postkytování poštovních služeb.
    Its exterior look the new owner will keep the same as a year-long providing of post services (this one is extremely confusing for me) :oops:

The new owner will maintain/keep the exterior look/features of (a post office) which provides postal services all year long. :?
    or maybe:
    The new owner will keep the exterior appearance (of the post office) like that of (one) which provides postal services all year long.

4. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

as well as = stejně jako, právě tak jako, jakož i

Its exterior look (acc) the new owner (nom) will keep equally like a year-long providing of post services.

The new owner will keep the exterior appearance (of the post office) as well as a year-long providing of post services.

5. rsalc1

rsalc1 Well-Known Member

bibax: thanks.
    Let me try one more time in English :)
    The new owner will keep the exterior appearance (of the post office) as well as providing year-long post services.

In other words, after the post office gets relocated, it will have the same appearance and it will provide year-long postal service. I hope that's it :D

6. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

I thought that providing in this case is a gerund (not a noun) and needs direct object (providing services, not providing of services). In Czech poskytování is a verbal noun: poskytování (nom/acc) služeb (gen).

BTW Sněžka ("snow mountain", Śnieżka, Schneekoppe) is the highest mountain in the Czech Republic. On the top there is the most highly located post office. The most low-lying post office is probably in Hřensko where the river Labe (Elbe) is leaving Bohemia for Hamburg.

7. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

poskytovani sluzeb is more literally "provision of services", which could be used in english if the sentence were rephrased

but the end meaning would be the same

i think it's more natural in english to use "continue providing postal services" as compared to "continue with the provision of postal services" ??

8. bibax

bibax Well-Known Member

I think the English like the gerund very much.

9. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

i think it is because the sentence structure is different? but that has to do with the fact that czech has cases, thus the meaning of a word is clear - whereas in english, services is always services - to use the noun form, you'd have to include the actual prepositions - which ends up in longer sentences too full of prepositions - does that make sense?