Cz? > English

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Beretta03, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

... and it's working now. Don't moan scrimshaw!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

2. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

So the biblical meaning is that for one to get into heaven you must be willing to rid yourself of worldly possessions (camel taking off suitcases) and surrender your life to Christ (getting on your knees).

Notice you don't have to get rid of all worldly possessions. It's not sin to own things, but be willing to do so. In other words, not count them above Christ. "for the love of money is the root of evil" not money itself.

3. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

this is it :!: :!: :D :D
    Welcome back Katka!!

4. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Thanks Ajik

It's good to be back home after 10 days. Only it's hard to catch up on all the posts since I last visited the site. There is no way I can get them all in one log on. I guess I just won't be able to read them all. :cry:

5. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

Where Have You Been?

6. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Nemej strach, už neplaču.
    Co myslíš? Foto města s uplněkem je zas na strance? Kde?
    Pohledám je na starý =thread=.
    Tohle není dalši malý vtip, že ano?

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Yes, exactly, it's written in the next verses:

Matthew 19:23-26
    23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.
    24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
    25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?",
    26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Matouš 19, 23-26
    23 Ježíš pak řekl učedlníkům svým: Amen pravím vám, že bohatý nesnadně vejde do království nebeského.
    24 A opět pravím vám: Snázeť jest velbloudu skrze uši jehly projíti, nežli bohatému vjíti do království Božího.
    25 A uslyšavše učedlníci jeho, užasli se velmi, řkouce: I kdož tedy může spasen býti?
    26 Pohleděv pak Ježíš, řekl jim: U lidíť jest to nemožné, ale u Boha všecko jest možné.

8. scrimshaw

Jsem rád, Ajike, že zas jsem našel teno foto.
    Uplněk nad Šumperkem.
    Opravdu je to hezké foto.

A Wer, co znamená ˇ´amenˇ´ v tehle větu?

A jěžiš jim řekl, ˇ´Amen ti pravím,.......ˇˇ
    I tell you...
    Amen musí připsát něco zvlašt.

uslyšavše něco=upon hearing something? Is this form of speech used much?

Pohleděv=looking at, watching?

To nejsou ve slovniku.

9. wer

wer Well-Known Member

The Hebrew word "amen" means "verily", "truly" or "let it be".

Amen pravím vám = I tell you truly ~ I tell you the truth

Sorry, scrimshaw, this is not good text for you. It's archaic language (resp its modern modification) of the Czech Bible. The verbal forms you asked for are transgresives (participles). They're still used nowadays, but only rarely. Even the natives grope for the correct form. Postpone it to the end of your Czech studies!

BTW, you guessed the meaning nearly correct, the only problem is in the perfectness (at/during vs upon).

10. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Scrimshaw, as I understand it, the form is the same as our past transgressive of the verb: " having + past participle." The generic form is to take the past tense form, and remove the "l"; however, if this makes the word end in a vowel, you add a "v" on the end. The suffix "-še" is the plural form, whereas "-ši" indicates feminine or neuter. The form is perhaps not obsolete, but rarely used in conversational Czech.

e.g.
    uslyšavše něco = (they) having heard something
    Pohleděv = (he) having looked at

11. scrimshaw

hey, thanks for that information. Interesting.
    In english, there is no way to attach the subject to the participle.

Hearing that, he knew he wanted to go too.

Believing it to be true, she wrote it down in her diary.

Grading the tests, she found out the class only got one A.

At least now I think I can recogize the grammar in reading, even if I would never really use it in speaking.

Uslyšavše hudbu, rozhodli se jít na pohoštěni.

Being raised Catholic we always ended our prayers with Amen.
    I think I just alwats assumed it meant something like Blessed Be.

Interesting that it also has meanings like verily.

12. wer

wer Well-Known Member

OK, a little more detailed explanation:

Czech transgressives are closely related to aspects. They're imperatively used beside a predicate (the only exception are some stagnant transgressives working as adverb or preposition, e.g. vyjma is interchangeable with preposition kromě).

The perfective transgressive is derived from a perfective verb in the way Sova described. It expresses an action (immediately) preceding the predicate action. Both uslyšavše (uslyševše) and pohleděv are perfective.

The imperfective transgressive expresses an action simultaneous with the predicate action. It's derived from the third-person singular present form of an imperfective verb.
    For verbs ending in -ou, the -ou suffix is replaced by suffixes -a/-ouc/-ouce (masc/fem, neut/pl) respectively (e.g. nesou -> nesa/nesouc/nesouce).
    For verbs ending in , by -e(occas. )/-íc/-íce (e.g. mají -> maje/majíc/majíce).
    In the biblic text, there's imperfective transgressive řkouce.

A uslyšavše učedlníci jeho, užasli se velmi, řkouce: I kdož tedy může spasen býti?
    Uslyšavše is the preceding action, řkouce is simultaneous with predicate užasli. The predicate itself is in the past form, but it could be also in the present form.

Transgressives are often adjectivized, e.g.
    (vést -> veda/vedouc/vedouce ->) vedoucí = leading (adj.)
    (předcházet -> předcházeje/předcházejíc/předcházejíce ->) předcházející = preceding (adj.)

...and consequently the adjectivized transgressive could be also substantivized, e.g.
    (vedoucí (adj.) ->) vedoucí (subst.) = leader, head, boss

13. scrimshaw

Nevidím tady posledni post co jsem poslal. Tak se možna trošku opakuji.
    Diky wer za dúkladný odpověd.
    Bylo by to pro me lepši nepouživat takove mluvnice.

vedouci=at least now I know how this noun was formed.
    That helps.

Nemám řidicky prúkaž. To nevadí, protože stejně nemáme auto.
    Nemúžeme si ho dovolit, protože dost penež nemáme.

v tom přikladě, spravne české mluuvnice je zájmeno je misto ´´ho´´,
    že ano?
    Mám pocit, že zas učebnice mě učí špatně.

14. Hanka7

Hanka7 Member

Neučí tě špatně, je na tebe hodná :D Obojí je správně, "ho" i "je", jsou to takzvané dubletní tvary. "Ho" je trošilinku hovorovější, ale oba tvary jsou mluvnicky naprosto správné. Takže můžeš říct:

Nemůžeme si ho dovolit, protože nemáme dost peněz.
    ale taky:
    Nemůžeme si je dovolit, protože nemáme dost peněz.

15. scrimshaw

Děkuji Hanka
    :oops:
    To je dobrý vědět. Ho a je jsou oba použity v horovovem česky jako zájmeno jednotlivého středni v akusativním padě.

Bydlím v krásné město. Cestující je (nebo ho=hovory)pořad chvalají.

16. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Zajímavá informace - v mých školních letech (neiges ď antan) byl tvar "ho" vyhrazen pro mužský rod životný (s mnemotechnickou pomůckou koho nebo co). V případě auta na žáčkem vytvořenou větu "nemůžeme si ho dovolit" reagoval učitel ironicky "koho si nemůžeme dovolit? Toho auta?"
    No jo, časy se mění... :(

17. Hanka7

Hanka7 Member

... a čeština s nimi, občas k dobrému a dost často k horšímu. :roll:

Ale myslím, že sbližování pádových tvarů středního a mužského rodu je pro ty, kdo se učí česky, ohromná výhoda. Dá se jí šikovně využívat nejen v tom výše zmíněném bezpředložkovém akuzativu, kde je tvar "ho" mluvnicky správný pro oba rody, ale i po předložkách - tam se dubluje tvar "něj":

Akuzativ "Dívám se na něj" se dá použít pro muže (maskulinum) i pro auto (neutrum). A stejné je to i u genitivu - "Musím se obejít bez něj" (bez muže i bez auta).

A nejlepší na tom je, že se ty stejné tvary už považují za spisovné. Prostě s tvary "ho" a "něj" si člověk vystačí u obou rodů. :)

18. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

A kam pak přijde tvar "dívám se na ně" (tedy auto)? Domnívala jsem se, že to je splývání tvarů životných a neživotných mužských podstatných jmen, ale střední rod?
    IMHO, tato tendence je spíše ku škodě (Čechům i těm, kdo se učí česky). Ale - jak pravil náš profesor anglické historické mluvnice - jazyk je živý organismus a nezajímají jej pravidla, stanovená někde v poklidu badatelovy pracovny. Na druhou stranu by se nemělo nic přehánět, ani tedy simplifikace češtiny; jenže to je v době komunikace pomocí SMS zpráv spíše mé zbožné přání... :(

19. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

Kdo je považuje za spisovné? Já rozhodně ne! :evil:

Tvar jej (něj) je POUZE v akusativu (v muž. rodě)!!

"bez něj" se příliš nepoužívá ani v hovorové češtině.

20. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Zeisig - MOJE ŘEČ :!: :!: :!: