CZ to English, please

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by mtcc, Oct 3, 2007.

1. mtcc

mtcc New Member

Hello,

I need help transalting the word "zazni" to English

Thank you, Mike

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

If the word is "Zažni" (or better "zažehni") it means "ignite" - make stg. burn

(2nd person, sg. - you do it)

ex.: Zažni pochodeň. (You) Ignite/Emblaze the torch (I found both those words in dictionary, so I am not 100% sure they are propriate)

If the word is "Zazní" it means stg. like "ring out"

(3rd person, sg. - it will "ring out")

ex. Dnes zazní americká hymna. (Today american anthem will ring out.)

3. eso

eso Well-Known Member

zazní - future tense of znít = sound/be heard /mostly about some piece of work - song, poem, lecture/

Jejich nová píseň zazní na koncertě v Praze.
    Their new song will be heard in concert in Prague.

4. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

additional info:

zažni - 2. person, sg., imperative, perfective (inf.: zažehnout)
    zazní - 3. person, sg. or pl.*, future, perfective (inf.: zaznít)

for plural, the better form is "zaznějí", but one may often encounter even "zazní"

5. Troll

Troll Well-Known Member

zažni :roll:

To si snad děláte srandu.

"Zažni" sice zpívá Miro Žbiro, ale to je Slovák! V češtině takové slovo není.

6. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Mike, if you give some context for how the word is used, it's easier to give an accurate translation.

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Ehm :roll:, it exists in the standard Czech. “Zažni” is the imperative form of the verb “zažnout” which means “start the harvest / start to scythe”. But I agree this form is not very frequent. :D

The imperative form of “zažehnout” is “zažehni”. But it is right that the incorrect form “zažnout” instead of “zažehnout” (and consequently “zažni” instead of “zažehni”) is common in colloquial Czech and correct in Slovak.

The same problem is with “rozžehni” a “rožni”. The correct meaning of “rožni” is “brander”.

8. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

zazni - imperative of "zaznít" (Ó, zazni, písni vznešená...) 8)

9. Eleshar

"zažni/rozžni" are rather forms in dialect today, but they are used often by the elderly and I consider this form rather bookish than colloquial.

10. Troll

Troll Well-Known Member

DjAvatar ("zažni pochodeň") a Eleshar mě tak zmátli, že jsem zapomněl na sloveso žíti (žnu, žal, žat, žetí) s imperativem žni ("žni, ženče"), které má ale jiný význam než slovesa žíci (žhu, žžeš, ..., žehl, žžen, imp. žzi 8) ) a žhnouti (žhnu, ...).

Tvary zažni a ro(z)žni ve významu zažehni a rozžehni (nebo také rozsviť) rozhodně v Praze neuslyšíte.

11. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Celá tahle diskuse je jasným důkazem, že používání diakritiky (v češtině) má stále smysl :)

Whole this discussion is a proof that using diacritic (in czech) is still necessity.

12. Eleshar

Never claimed the opposite :wink:

13. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Me neither :)