Czech common lastnames??

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Kozoroh, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

And Jane and Jean. Not to mention Johanna...but all from Hebrew meaning "God is gracious" in any case. Some say Tatiana is derived from the Roman family name Tatius and some say it's a pet form of Anastasia, from Greek for "resurrection".

Does anybody know of a good book on Czech surnames? I don't mean just a list of the most common names, I mean something more academic with a study of how and why they developed, maybe how spelling was changed over time, etc. They sometimes show up in books on American surnames, but information is scanty.

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Interestingly enough, Ceit, I just came across a site that lists Czech and Slovak first names (not last names, unfortunately) with equivalents in other languages, including a brief meaning and etymology. I haven't looked that closely at it, yet, but will do so when I have more time. Here's the link: http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/cze.php

3. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

4. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

Yeah...that's what I'm talkin' about! 8)

5. BCE753

BCE753 New Member

My grandmother's parents were from Moravia. One from a place, which in 1903 was referred to as M. Ostrian, which I believe is today known as Ostrava. The other's family was from a town called Zabreh, near Sumperk in central Moravia.

Their names were:

1)Opela

and

2)Capik

I cannot add the accents, but anyone familiar with the names will recognize them. Capik, I believe is fairly common, but Opela is not--although my skeptical Czech friend found several listed in the phone book on Seznam.cz.

If anyone can tell me the meaning of either name, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

6. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

Opěla (cca 300 people in the Czechlands) is more common surname than Čapík (cca 80).

7. BCE753

BCE753 New Member

Thank you, Zeisig. That's interesting. Can you tell me what the names would mean if translated into English?

8. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

Čapík could mean a little stork (čáp = stork), but not necessarily. The ethymology of surnames is often obscure.

Opěla has no meaning, at least in today's Czech. The stem -pě- occurs in many Czech words (e.g. pěl = he sang), but the word opěla itself is not in use.

9. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

In Slovak language, čapík means
    1. uvula
    2. suppository
    3. small peg, plug or bung

10. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

The Slovak word čapík is a diminutive of čap, which is čep (= peg, bung, pivot, spigot, tap) in Czech (the diminutive is čípek = uvula, suppository).

Czech čep, dim. čípek = Slovak čap, dim. čapík

11. BCE753

BCE753 New Member

Thank you for the clarification, Zeisig, but I think I preferred "little stork"--bung does not have a very good connotation in my experience! ;-)

12. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

You use the same word for "uvula" and "suppository"? :? Well, as long as you don't see or hear things out of context... :lol:

13. Zeisig

Zeisig Well-Known Member

The Czech language is not so latinized like the English one. Out of context the word čípek simply means a small peg, plug or bung. It is also a surname. The meanings palatine uvula, retinal cone, suppository, etc. are figurative. But the medicine doctors certainly use the Latin terms.

14. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I'm sure it is a perfectly respectable word, but we don't use bung much except in the context of "bung hole" - which is rather crude slang for what you sit on (and, I don't mean the chair). :wink:

15. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

That makes me wonder if they ever get bevis and butthead over in the CR. :lol: