Czech food bland?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by shreypete, Jul 13, 2007.

1. shreypete

shreypete Well-Known Member

i just wanted to know if Czech food in general is pretty bland or not...i had a friend of mine from Germany tell me that the food in Czech Repub. is horrible bland compared to the rest of europe...

2. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Czech cuisine is not bland - "Svickova" is very tasty, "Segendyn Goulas" is wonderful, "kapr na cerno" has great taste with lekvar and raisins. The soups have extremely good flavor. "Pernicky" are great.

Bland is NOT a word to desceibe most Czech food. Yes there are dishes that maybe bland, but that is true of all naitonalities.

3. shreypete

i heard that the its common for the czechs to eat a sweet dish (such as pancakes) for a main course (dinner or lunch)...is this true? and what about the fruit dumplings?

srry to bother...its just that i'll be going to czech soon and so i'm curious as to the czech cuisine....thanks a lot... :)

4. Fei

Fei Active Member

That's true. A sweet one is just as common as any. We're not fond of spicy things though. Fruit dumplings are receding from Czech tables, I guess (except maybe in the country), but - yes, that might be one tasty sweet dinner. Why, don't like 'em?

I also disagree that Czech cuisine is bland. It's typically mighty caloric on the other hand...

However, you'll find a lot of international bites widely accessible here - pizza and pasta in particular; steaks are also easily found. And if you ever get really homesick, Mc's and KFC's are found everywhere. In fact - the way I see it, the term "Czech cuisine" will have extinct by the time today's kids have grown up.

5. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

It is true that main courses could be sweet, but I believe (just MY speculation) that it goes back to the meatless Fridays when an alternative was a non-meat soup and fruit dumplings (that are to die for) could have been served. My mother use to make milk soup and we'd have palachinky (crepes).

Go with an open mind and try all the dishes. There are things I do not care for and others I crave for because I do not know how to cook them right. I look to visiting my homeland in the next few years after being away for over half a century. I have eaten much Czech food, in that time, but I have found that "mother's home cooking" beat them all. Since her passing in 1989, I have cooked much Czech food with much sucess, but there are dishes I just cannot completely replicate them way she did them. I guess it was her touch of a pinch of this and a drop of that which made each dish tasty. I'm not saying that what I cook is not good, but maybe it is HER love that was put into the food that is mising.

6. shreypete

hey fei, i acutally like sweet food bt usually expect it for deserts...our cuisine (portuguese-indian) is generally sweetish too...bt not too sweet (as its balanced with other spics...) so the actual sweet taste (literal translation) is reserved for the last course in the meal....the desert!!! *my favourite....and how is this stuffed beef liver dish or somethin like that...just came across a site that mentioned smethinng like that...

hey stepan, man i sure do love crepes (had them when i was in france)...if you dont mind me askin, did you study or work in Czech Repub.?

i guess my frndz were wrong in judgin czech food that its bland (mayb coz their german??)....when is probably not....anywayz can wait to get to Czech Repub...the food, pivo (oh do tell me how it is), clubs, n girls (and college too)....

7. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

I was norn in Czechoslovakia after WWII and we emigrated into the US in the early 1950's. We grew up in a Czech home while assimilating into the US culture. We spoke Czech at home and my mother cooked Czech food. She often had dinner parties for 10-15 people and would make her signature dish - "Svickova" with "Knedliky" and "Brusinky" - OH, OH, OH - what a fabulous dish - flavorful, beautiful to look at and always better the second day.

8. shreypete

i guess i dnt know what that dish translates to in english bt sure will find out when i get to Prague...Would you be having any idea as to how expensive the food is in Prague? i mean in restaurants, hotels, supermarkets n shops n stuff....

9. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

I cannot answer your questions because I have not been back since I lef as a child. I do plan to visit in the next few years.

Someone else in Praha should be able to assist you.

10. shreypete

all rght...thnks anyway... :)

11. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Prague is a large, cosmopolitan city with many different kinds of places to eat and buy food. That is about like asking how much does food cost in New York City. There are very reasonable local restaurants and stores as well as very expensive fine dining restaurants and specialty stores. For "average" or "everyday" food, you will find Prague generally less expensive than what you are used to paying in most places in the US. Compared to Czech wages, however, I'm not sure it is any less expensive (possibly may even take a higher percentage of wages to buy).
    Rest assured, however, that, regardless of your financial baseline, you will find great food that you can afford. Czech food is by no means bland-it is delicious and you will learn to pick and choose to suit your own dietary likes. There is a wide variety of food types available. Remember, Prague is very diverse-in addition to Czech food, you will also find Chinese, Thai, Italian, Greek, Middle-Eastern,Indian, American, Irish and even Cuban food.
    Dobrou chut' (bon appétit)

12. Fei

Fei Active Member

Hmm, that liver in there spoils my calculations. I don't know what that might be. But just "stuffed beef" is probably "ptáček" (or "Brněnský ptáček"). It's basically a thick baked beef roll filled with a piece of cucumber, egg and onion, some ham, possibly some further ingredients. Served with rice. Nothing outstanding IMO.

svickova =~ macerated tenderloin with specific cream sauce
    knedliky =~ risen-dough dumplings
    brusinky =~ cranberries
    Merely thinking about its taste makes me slobber. :) It's easy to prepare it wrong though. Hopefully Prague chefs know their job well.

13. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

- actually MARINATED

That is my favorite meal of ALL times. Mother's was tender, flavorful and OUTSTANDING.

I like Ptacky - but I like "Spanelsy Ptacky" - Thin beef roll with Mustard, Pickle and Bacon inside and yes served with rice usually, although we did have it with egg noodles.

I'd love to make Svickova RIGHT now, but that is not usually a summer dish - more for fall and winter unless you go to a restaurant or have special company for a sit down dinner.

14. shreypete

hey fei i'm sure that i read something like that...now if it was goose or beaf i have no idea....anyways can't wait to eat some svickova or some knedliky with a brusinky sauce (which i assume should be there also)....

what about the vegetable consumption? i mean do the salads compensate for the vegetables which dont seem to be eaten along with meat (at a good lot of vegetables)....

15. shreypete

Nashedanou GlennInFlorida....

16. GlennInFlorida

goodbye?

17. shreypete

oh sorry GlennInFlorida, i meant djekuji....srry just started learning czech, so gettin mixed up with the words... :lol:

18. GlennInFlorida

Rozumím, není zač :)

19. Fei

Fei Active Member

Hard to tell for me, really. I hate most fruit, vegetables and salads, you see... :D But one typically gets some added value in vegetables on their plate if the main meal allows for it. I.e., if it's not svickova, for instance. :) Anyway, I definitely wouldn't worry about meeting hypovitaminosis in the Czech Rep. Salads are common too.

20. shreypete

hypovitaminosis....yes indeed :lol: