Czech hors'deurves

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by stepan, Nov 27, 2006.

1. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

We are having a gathering of friends just before Christmas and I was wondering if there anre any unique Czech hors'deurves tha we can make and serve.

Please provide the recipes for them.

I know my mother use to make the FABULOUS open faced sandwiches on small slices of bread - each uniquely beautiful and tasty. However, I have not been able to duplicate them - she made her own mayonaisse, a great anchovy spread, and other special things for these finger foods.

2. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    you don't normally get recipes of those things, just use whatever you feel like and don't overdo it, you can use for example sliced sausage, sliced cheese, gervais, boiled eggs, tomatoes, red and green peppers, tartar sauce, ketchup, mustard..., put it (not all of it) on a piece of bread or something similar and you're done

as for the anchovy spread - that's quite easy - mash a couple of cans of anchovies, add some butter or margarine, some finely chopped onion, salt and pepper and maybe some lemon juice

another fairly popular spread is the cheese/garlic one:
    grate a piece of hard cheese, mix some butter, margarine, gervais, perhaps even yogurt or anything that is near-liquid but similar enough to cheese into it, (if the viscosity is too great you can add some milk), add crushed garlic (about a fistful or so) and salt, I think some people recommend to refrigerate it before use but I don't think that's so essential

try googling "chlebíčky" to get some inspiration

when in doubt, improvise

BTW how do you pronounce that weird/french looking word you used?

3. wer

wer Well-Known Member

I think the correct form is hors d'oeuvre (=předkrm). I'm also interested in English pronunciation.

4. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

You are correct, wer, I misspelled it - haste makes waste.

In English it is pronounced "OR DURVES" ("or" like "or not" , "durves" like "curves" with a "d"