Czechoslovakian language is English with accent. ;)

Discussion in 'General Language' started by eso, Nov 3, 2007.

1. eso

eso Well-Known Member

From other Czech-related forum:

:) :)

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

tak to je husté :)

3. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

ne, to je naprosto typické

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Maybe we should post here some similar stories we experienced, I think it should be fun :)

My experience from Turkey 2007 - Bus from Ankara to Istanbul, "flight attendant" was trying to convince me, that there is not such a thing like "Czech republic", only "Czechoslovakia". There was no way to explain him he is not right (partly because his english was very limited), but at least he tried to communicate).

Please add some more :)

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I can't believe it was an English couple, American - yes, but English, no :lol:

6. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

If that was american, that is embarassing.

7. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

many years ago, someone asked my origin - when i said czechoslovakia (because it still was at that time...) - his answer, ah yes - tito is a wonderful fellow...

other replies - hmmmmmmmm, that's by turkey, isn't it?

and of course there is confusion with chechnya at times

8. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

And Glenn, I can't believe that that was precisely my reaction, word for word, even before I scrolled down to yours!

9. Polednikova

A good friend of mine from London came to stay earlier this year and she brought with her a friend of hers, whom I had never met.

This friend of a friend is the typical elderly English, upper middle class, 'posh' lady with not much formal education because in those days, it wasn't thought worth educating girls because they would just get married. On reflection, I think my friend must have deliberately kept us apart!

She seemed to think I was in Prague on missionary work and made several classic remarks such as "Do they have power cuts here?"

I can't remember the rest of them but I'll post them if I do.

10. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

See what can happen when you're stuck on an island for most of your life! :lol:

When I was in the Czech Republic in 1994-5, I had several people (Americans) ask me if I was anywhere near the fighting.

11. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

i got talking with some guy in a pub in grantham, england and he asked me: "how's the famine in your country? i reckon it's getting better these days, isn't it?" i'd told him before i was from the czech republic, he'd probably confused it with chad or maybe chechnya.

12. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I remember talking with friends here after my first trip to Prague and one of them said "You must have seen some really odd clothing over there."

I answered "Only on the tourists."

13. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I really can imagine what people from "western" countries are thinking about Czechia (but Slovakia, Poland, Hungary too), because I know what people/my friends are thinking here about countries I visited this year (Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Macedonia, Turkey). I wanted to visit Kosovo too, to see what the situation there really is like, and what serbians are "strugglining" for, but unfortunetaly there is no bus/train connection between Serbia and Kosovo :-( (but there should be no problem to go there from Albania or Macedonia, I'll try it next time).

But it is gonna take a while until people from west start to visit places like Kiev, which actully is pretty similar to Prague, services are good, prices are even much lower, I like this city, it is not as crowded (for now) as Prague. Just imagine underground token for just 5p/10¢ :).

But maybe the just need lowcost connection with some EU capitals and things can change quickly.

14. hribecek

hribecek Well-Known Member

My American friend flew to Europe several years ago and told me that she was supposed to change in the Czech Republic but the plane had to land somewhere else cuz a war had just started there.
    I'm guessing it was Croatia or maybe Cyprus.

15. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Then again, I recall many a Czech, upon hearing that I was from Texas, asking me where my boots and hat were, and did I live on a ranch, own cattle and oil fields. :roll: :lol:

Of course, then again, at least they knew where Texas was ...

16. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Guess why :)

[​IMG]

17. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Yes, I know why, thanks DjAvatar. :roll:

18. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

If you ask "What's capital of Texas", I guess 90% of czechs would say "Dallas" :)

But it is not (only) because of the serie :), it will be same with California (LA) or Florida (Miami).

19. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

only 90%???? i think the percentage would be higher in the u.s :D

20. Polednikova

Ye Gods, that's frightening! I used to watch it along with everyone in the UK - although I can only remember JR's name - and they all look so old!!!Is that 'younger' blonde one the one we used to call the poisoned dwarf?