Dobry den, from Odessa, Texas

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by The Animal, Nov 11, 2006.

1. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

Dobry den, from Odessa, Texas
    Where's there plenty of oil underground. Are there any more Czech's out here besides me?

P.S. I don't have the correct keyboard to spell the Czech words correctly. Also this is a excellant web-site the best. :D

2. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

Isn't that cheerleader from series "Heroes" from Oddesa?
    Sorry for being totally off topic.

3. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

If you go to the search function of this website and type in Czech keyboards, there are plenty of posts explaining how to do it, depending on your computer programs.

4. The Animal

Ano, my wife caught the first few minutes of the first episode and heard them say she was from Odessa. However, we have not watched the series. Also, there are NO mountains anywhere near Odessa! Odessa is also where the "Friday Night Lights" book and movie were origionally from although, I think they've moved the location of the TV show. Odessa is also one town over from Midland, TX where baby Jessica fell down the water well about 20 years ago. 8) 8)

Na shledanou

5. rkasparek

rkasparek Well-Known Member

Yessir! I'm over in Midland and have been trying to find additional Czechs in the area! WooHoo I found one! :lol:

New to Midland - lived here about 2 years. Married a nice West Texas lady and have inherited 6 shiny new grandkids! 4 of them in Midland - 2 of them in Odessa!

Cheers
    Rick

6. The Animal

Ahoj Rick,
    Nice to here from you. Welcome to West Texas, I have some more good information for you I have some Czech relatives living here also, as far as I know the younger generation can't speak Czech. I'm just now starting to learn Czech. How about you, can you speak Czech?

One day we'll have to meet at Town & Country on FM 1788 & I-20 you know by the New Pilot Truck Stop across from Warfield 8) 8)

Dekuji Na shledanou

7. rkasparek

Animal:
    When I was very young my grandmother Mathilda spoke Czech, but my dad never spoke much Czech so I never learned. Too bad the wisdom that comes with age didn't strike back then or I would have attempted to learn!

I have been working with some folks to try to find enough Czechs here in the Permian Basin to start our own chapter of the Czech Heritage Society of Texas. Please ask other Czechs you know if they would be interested!

...and sure - we could meet some time. I think that would be great! Where are you learning Czech? and what does "Dekuji Na shledanou" mean?
    Is Ahoj pronounced "A-Hoy?"

Questions questions!
    BTW - in case you may be interested, my personal website features some artwork I did back in the day for the National Czech and Slovak Museum in Iowa.

8. The Animal

Ahoj Rick.

I think that is a good idea, (our own Czech Heritage Society) I've been hopening there would be enough intrest here to start up something like that. I'll check with my relatives to see if their interested.

I went to Barns and Nobel in Midland purchased some Czech phrasebook and a Czech/English---English/Czech dictionary also went to Hastings in Odessa, bought a different phrase book, and a book with a CD.
    Also the internet has lots and lots of stuff about the Czech language, especialy this web site hear. Need to go to www.locallingo.com it's part of this websight here. After you go to locallingo you can learn alot of new words also, access My Czech Rebublic from there.

Ahoji, pronounced------------ ahoy means------------- Hi or Bye
    Dekuji pronounced-------------dyekoo-yeih means---- Thank You
    Na shledanou pronounced---- nas-khledanoh means-- Good-Bye

I look foreward to speaking again Dekuji, Na shledanou 8) 8)

9. rkasparek

Animal:

Good to hear from you. Yes please ask family and friends about interest in a local chapter! After the holidays I hope to run an add in both the Midland and Odessa papers to have people write or call or email. I think we need to get the interest level up especially since I see 3 other 'Kasparek' families in Odessa (even in Cedar Rapids Iowa, a large Czech community, it was a rare name!)!

Hope your Thanksgiving holiday was a good one!

Rick

10. The Animal

Dear Rick,
    I'll start checking around with my family members. I also strongly agree about getting something going. Ja miss the Czech traditions, makes me want to move to where there are other Czechs who can speak Czech. Hear lately I've been thinking about The Czech Republic Traditions. Like their special pretty/colorful dress'es,suits the special dances that are passed down by the generations.

They have annually events held yearly in Ennis Texas, I tell ty (you) that's alot of fun. My favorite Czech band ''The Vrazels' '' were there among many, many more.

Oh ! Almost foregot and ano (yes) my Thanks Giving was dobry (good)

Dekuji Na shledanou 8) 8)

11. rkasparek

Super animal!

I look forward to hearing whether or not your family might be interested! By the way... "animal"? Can you give me your first name?

Rick

12. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Rick and Animal,

You could also start a Czech meetup group at meetup.com. That might be a way to find more people interested in your area.

13. rkasparek

dzurisovak: Thanks - I'll Czech it out! :lol:

14. The Animal

Dear Rick,
    Ja mit ctyri bratrannec kdo jsi zaujaty zatim .
    I have fore cousins who are interested so far.
    Jmenuji se Jody
    My name is Jody.

Dekuji, Na shlednou 8) 8)

15. The Animal

I looked at the meetup acouple months ago. seems like they wan't you to pay them for their help. You have to make a living someway.

8) 8)

16. rkasparek

Yeah, I saw that. I can fix up an email addy especially for the 'group' interest... as well as a sign up page, etc etc - czech your email.

17. The Animal

The good news is, if you made it this far down this thread with my friends here, I was able to figure out how to make my computor write Czech characters. Thanks again for your help!