EN>CZ: you dialed the wrong number

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by milton, May 15, 2008.

1. milton

milton Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I need help with this, if someone could offer how to convey this in a very CZECH manner that's easily understood, I'd greatly appreciate it:

-------------------------------------
    Unfortunately you dialed the right number but you got me instead.. I bought this telephone number a few weeks ago.. I'm not sure who had it before me, so you definitely dialed the right number, but NO I'm not the business entity you're looking for. Good Day!
    ------------------------------------

Of course any helpful suggestions are welcome
    TIA
    -Milton-

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Something like that:

Voláte správné číslo, ale osoba/firma, kterou hledáte, na něm už nesídlí.

Btw: What means you bought number? I didn't know it's even possible.

3. milton

milton Well-Known Member

Eso... you know how if you buy a SIM card it comes with a mobile number?? yeah.. that's what I did.

But for some strange reason I get OLD people calling me all day long.

Some people are really understanding and hear me struggle with Czech and are really nice about it, they laugh, they apologize for bothering me, etc etc... others are NOT so nice.

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Ah, you mean STOLEN sim card ;)

Or maybe not stolen, but maybe it comes from some fellow, who had some problems with people, who were calling him (like debts).

But maybe it's only my Czech cynism and paranoia :)
    But seriously, I'm afraid that SIM card with history means mostly trouble. :)

Maybe that guy stolen money from all these old people and then he sold card to you... - no, it's only my vivid imagination :)

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Well, on second thought, maybe all these smiles in my last posts aren't appropriate.

6. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

AFAIK, mobile operators actually do reuse old numbers from sim cards made some 10 years ago or from the ones that have been reported lost/destroyed etc. i got a brand new phone with a sim card some 2 years back, and the number started with "602" - those series originated some time in the nineties, i still get phone calls from people who assume they're calling someone else - several different people but all of them are after the same person so it's unlikely that they've simply mistyped the number.

7. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I read in the US they recycle numbers from not used sim cards after only six months.

Read this article for one very funny instance :).

I guess milton has similar problem, but a little less crazy one.

8. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Reminds me of when I was a kid. My friends and I used to pull phone pranks, calling the same number using different voices and asking for the same person: "Is Bob there?". Then finally, we'd call as the person and say, "Hi this is Bob, do I have any messages?" :)

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Which reminds me one old joke:

Pepíček (typical czech joke character) aproaches ice cream stall and asks the vendor: "Do you have carot ice-cream"? And the vendor says "No, I don't". Next day Pepíček asks again "Do you have carot ice-cream"? And the vendor says "No, I don't". This continues day by day for week or so, until the vendor decided to order carot flavour. The next day Pepíček asks again "Do you have carot ice-cream"?, and the vendor answers proudly: "Yes, I do". And Pepíček says: "It must be disgusting!".

10. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Sova, that's a good one. Not heard that one before.

Carrot icecream, :p

Duck walks into a bar.
    'Can I get a beer?'
    'We don't serve ducks here.'
    Next day, same bar, duck comes in.
    'Can I get a beer?'
    'I told you already, we don't serve ducks here.'
    Next day, same conversation. Bartender says, next time you ask me that I'm going to nail your feet to the bar.'
    Next day.
    Duck...'Got any nails?'
    'No.'
    'Can I get a beer?'

11. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was back in the olden days before answering machines and voice mail (not to mention caller ID . :? )

12. milton

milton Well-Known Member

Yeah so the plot thickens. So it seems there's a 'reklama' out there somewhere with my mobile number on it.... in a magazine, a newspaper, posted on some board at Depo Hostivar.. vlastne nevim

I'm really curious now, who had my mobile number before ME....