Expat with a felony... Is is possible?

Discussion in 'Expat Life' started by J, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. J

    J New Member

    I have wanted to travel overseas since I was a little kid and for some time I have been considering teaching English in Europe, most likely in the Czech Republic... Unfortunately I may end up with a felony conviction on my record in the near future. My offense was rather minor in my opinion and that of my lawyers' (actually not even illegal in most states) but the DA doesn't want to budge :cry: He has offered me a suspended sentence which is pretty much a get out of jail free card but I would get the felony conviction on my record. I have decided that if I can teach English in Europe like I want to with the record I will probably take the offer but if I can't ever travel/move out of the country I'm going to take it to trial. I was hoping I could get a hold of someone who knows something on the subject or knows who I can contact before I make a decision that will have a huge impact on my life (a huge amount of money for lawyers and possible time behind bars). Anyone know the details about visas/residency with a conviction? Thank you very much for your help!
  2. Karel

    Karel Well-Known Member

    Hi J,

    I can only divert you to http://www.czech.cz/ . I`ve skimmed through the site finding no relevant information myself, but emailing to the webmaster is probably the best thing for you to do to get all the information you`re looking for. In case it failed there for one reason or another, please visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at http://www.czechembassy.org/wwwo/mzv/de ... dj=2&amb=1

    You don`t have to read the following as it is in line with the Japanese Law, but it could give you an idea of what to expect.

    Overseas Japanese diplomatic establishments may not issue a visa to an applicant who comes under the following categories or is suspected of coming under these categories:

    - If the applicant does not possess a genuine and valid passport.
    - If the contents of the application are false.
    - If the applicant has a criminal record including more than one year's imprisonment.
    - If the applicant has a criminal record involving narcotics, marijuana, stimulants, prostitution, etc.
    - If the application is made within five years of the applicant having been deported from Japan for illegal residence.
    - If the applicant's purpose for entering Japan does not fall within the activities that can be conducted in Japan as stipulated by the Immigration Control Act.
    - If the applicant's purpose for entering Japan does not comply with the Ministerial Ordinance to Provide for Criteria for Landing Permission under the Immigration Control Act.
    - If it is feared that the applicant will engage in activities that harm the interests of and disturb public order in Japan.

    If a visa has been denied, it is possible for the same applicant to apply again. For further information, please inquire at the embassy or consulate where the application was made or at the Foreign Nationals' Affairs Division if the application was forwarded to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs by the embassy or consulate.

    All the best


Share This Page