Fave Zizkov places, including pekarna and hospody? May date

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by ondrejana, Mar 19, 2004.

1. ondrejana

ondrejana Well-Known Member

I'm taking Jeff up on his offer! Anybody who has the time and the heart, please offer any type of favorite joints that you enjoyed in Praha 3, Zizkov (oh okay, including Vinohrady) area....

I already know about Palac Flora and the nice Albert supermarket in the basement... but I'm truly interested in favorite cafes, casual and inexpensive places to go for eats (i.e. is rizky possible for less than 150-170 KC? Or polevka for less than 100 KC?), as well as anything else that you can think of (i.e. is there a Bohemia Bagel in the area?)

thank you so much....
    Take your time in the response; I've a notebook and will note down all of the personal tips before we go!

Jana and Ondrej

2. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Jana and Ondrej,

My wife and I spent some weeks staying at a place on Bořivojova in Žižkov. We liked that part of Žižkov and it was a convenient location since it was close to the Jiřího z Poděbrad metro stop and Vinohrady. We did hear that there is an area of Žižkov that is not so nice and I think it is more towards Karlín. If you have not done so already, I suggest going to mapy.atlas.cz and typing in the name of your street to view your area.

Café Chef (on Ondříčkova) is a nice place to hang and is acrosss the street from the TV Tower. We liked the Pakistani restaurant Mailsi (Lipanská 1) and went there a couple of times. For game specialties, we liked Hájovna (Ondříčkova 29) and I particularly enjoyed the wild boar goulash. Another place we liked was Kuře v hodinkách (Seifertova 26). It serves international cuisine and has a nice atmosphere and good service. For a Czech pub, you can try U růžového sadu (Mánesova 89). We never made it there, but heard some nice things about it. I bet you can get some inexpensive smažený anything there. Be prepared for some smoke though.

I suggest walking down Mánesova in Vinohrady. It is a beautiful street lined with many trees and wonderful art nouveau buildings.

Since you will be near the TV Tower, I suggest going to the top for a nice view. Most tourists see the tower while in Prague, but I don't think too many actually visit it.

As of October last year, there were just two Bohemia Bagel shops - one in Malá Strana and the other in the Old Town.

Jeff

3. ondrejana

ondrejana Well-Known Member

Hello back to Jeff! :D

I've now completed my Masters degree in Nursing, and so have more time to respond to your post long ago. Well, thank you again for writing. Seeing that you're the only soul with seeming familiarity with Praha 3, I'd like to say that Kure v Hodinkach was recommended to me by others as well, so that'll definitely be a go. I've heard about Radost FX Cafe as well.

now, about luscious and fresh bochnik and kolace....any pekarna that you may be familiar with, perhaps? Buchty or pernik?

Thanks! Less than two weeks away.. Vyborne!

Jana