Fruit Dumplings

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Megan Chuang, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Megan Chuang

Megan Chuang New Member

I was tried to make the fruit dumpling this afternoon and it was taste strange though. I'm not sure whether there is anything wrong with the materials. First, I put the cream cheese, 1 egg, some salt, and some flour in a pot and mixed them. Second, stuff them with apricots.
    Then, boil them for 5 minutes. Take them out and ate them with the some black berry jam.
    If there is anything wrong with the material or procedures, please let me know.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Megan :lol:

2. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

It looks that you forgot to add some sugar :) I would also leave out the blackberry jam.
    For a final touch, you can cover the dumplings with powder sugar, some more cottage cheese and a few teaspoons of melted butter.

3. Megan Chuang

Megan Chuang New Member

Thank you so much!
    You're right, I forgot to add some sugar before stuff it. But, I didn't boil them all. I only boiled some. Some of them are still in refrigerator. Is there any other ways to cook them? Can it be cook by fried?

Please let me know if you have any ideas for that.

Thanks again.

Megan :p

4. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

The dough does not need sugar, but the flour for dumplings should be coarse, resembling cornmeal. The cake flour just does not work there. If a coarse wheat flour is not available, try semolina. And I do not boil fruit dumplings, but steam them; it prevents the dumplings from falling apart and makes it easy to check on the doneness with a fork.
    So-called puff pastry (i.e. boiling water with pinch of salt and butter, coarse flour added and stirred till it forms a ball, mixed with eggs when cooled) is great for fruit dumplings, too.

5. YiChienChuang

YiChienChuang Member

Hello Jana,

Hope all is well with you.

I would like to know if there is any sites/links (in English) that I can get the recipe of "fruit dumplings".

Thank you and have a good day!!

Sincerely,
    Megan :D

6. magan

magan Well-Known Member

It is always main dish which is sweet. Never fried. I don't think you have cottage cheese (in US it is Farmers Cheese not cottage cheese) available. You can try for thick sour cream on the top and sugar. Never jam on the top.

Another version of fruit dumplings which you may find easier is to use recipe for Chinese steamed dumplings (usually filled with meat) and fill them with fresh fruit instead. Again, eat it warm with cream cheese or sour cream or Farmers Cheese and sugar on the top.
    Good luck.

7. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Pot Cheese Dumplings (Plum, Apricot, or Cherry)
    For Dumpling

1/2 lb farmers cheese
    1 egg, extra large
    3/4+ cup semolina, farina, or cake flour
    1-2 Tbsp butter

For filling
    12+ Prune plums or Apricots or 36 cherries
    12+ sugar cubes

For topping
    3-4 oz butter
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs
    sugar
    cinnamon

These utterly delicious dumplings are a bit tricky to get right the first time, but are worth the effort. The big problem is getting the correct moisture level (same problem as with other dumplings and tortillas). Note that the recipe will work well with either farmers or pot cheese; it does not work with cottage cheese.

As sold in the US, both farmers and pot cheese are packaged with extra moisture. Therefore it is necessary to dry the cheese by wrapping it in several layers of paper towels and letting it drain, pressing it gently, for 5-10 minutes.

Many recipes call for flour, but these dumplings are properly made with semolina, not flour. Farina (not the quick cooking or instant kind) is an adequate substitute, and cake flour is a poor third choice.

In a mixer, beat cheese until it is smooth. Add egg and about 2/3 of the semolina. Continue adding semolina (or a very small amount of water, if necessary) until it forms a dough that holds together when lightly patted in the palm of the hand. Add melted butter and beat in well. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. It is essential that the semolina absorb moisture from the cheese and egg. This will serve to stiffen the dough.

Prepare fresh fruit - it must be fresh and completely ripe and tender, frozen will not work - by opening a slit in the plums or apricots, replacing the pit with a sugar cube, and closing the fruit tightly; pit the cherries.

In the palm of your hand (or on a 'floured' board) pat the dough into a thin circle about the size of the palm of the hand. Place a prepared plum or apricot (or three cherries and a sugar cube) in the middle of the circle and carefully bring the edges of the circle together to completely enclose the fruit. The dough should be relatively uniform in thickness around the fruit and must seal it in completely. pinholes, thin spots or cracks will result in a disaster. Roll the finished dumpling in semolina to coat the outside. If you are not experienced in making these dumplings, we strongly recommend that you finish cooking the first dumpling before making more. If the test dumpling falls apart in the cooking process, work in some cake flour; if the results are too dry or stiff, work in more beaten egg thinned with a few drops of water.

While making the dumplings, bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Gently lower the dumplings into the boiling water. Do not crowd. The dumplings will sink to the bottom and should be very gently agitated to make sure they do not stick. After about 5 minutes the dumplings will begin expand and rise to the surface. Continue cooking about 5-10 minutes more. Adjust the cooking time based on taking a test dumpling out and cutting into it. (It is the cook's prerogative to get first chance at a dumpling.)

Serve dumplings with bread crumbs browned in butter, additional melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon all of which can be served separately and sprinkled on at the table.

Left over dumplings can be refrigerated or frozen and reheated and browned in melted butter in a frying pan or in the oven or even in a microwave.

8. YiChienChuang

YiChienChuang Member

Hi Eva and Magan,

Appreciated for the informations. It is really helpful.
    Any other questions, I will let you know.
    Many thanks!!

Sincerely,
    Meg :)

9. iluvuma1

iluvuma1 Well-Known Member

Eva-

You just gave me a weekend project. I was just on a camping trip recently that some Czechs we were with mentioned they missed the cheese fruit dumplings... I'm going to try to surprise my husband with them. (He might get a laugh at my results- however)-they sound tricky! (But delicious!)

I'll post my results.

10. iluvuma1

iluvuma1 Well-Known Member

Can I buy any kind of bread crumbs- or does it have to be from actual bread?

11. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Plain white bread crumbs are just fine.

12. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Any kind of bread crumbs you buy in the bakery. Remember, you have to fry them (in butter) before you put them on your dumplings.