Getting to the Staropramen brewery

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by mravenec, Sep 16, 2005.

1. mravenec

mravenec Well-Known Member

STAROPRAMEN ('Old well') Brewery

How do you get there? (Or, rather, what is the best or easiest way to get there using public transport?)

Is the brewery open for visitors, with guided tours (at what times?) etc, and do they have a krámek?

2. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

The Staropramen Brewery offers tours if you book in advance. The tour lasts 60 minutes and includes beer tasting. On their website, the visitor center is listed as being at Nádražní 84, but I read that a new visitor center opened around the corner on Pivovarská.

You can get to the brewery by taking metro line B (yellow) to Anděl and using the exit that goes to the bus station. You can also get there by taking tram 6, 12, 14, or 20 to Na Knížecí.

I do not know if they have a store.

More information and a reservation form can be found at:
    http://iglo.lundegaard.cz/staropramen_n ... kurze.html

3. valleyman70

valleyman70 Member

However, having just undertaken the brewery tour - the tour starts with a film then lasts 15 minutes and consists of two old rooms - then back to the bar to taste - all for 120 Koruna - a real rip off sadly.

What also spoilt the whole thing was the grouip of 50 Dutch school children also on the 'tour' who talked and chattered and made a nuisance throughout.

I wouldn't reccommend the tour to anyone. I would however reccomend the pub just sort of next door to the brewery called the Thirsty Deer - excellent food and beer at 18 Koruna !!!

:x and :D

4. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I am both happy and sad to hear about the Staropramen tour. My friend and I had planned to go on the tour but were unable to because of schedule conflicts and the weather. Seems like we didn't miss much. On the other hand, we took a day trip to Plzen to visit the Pilsner-Urquell brewerey there (went on our own - bought bus tickets, called ahead and arranged for the tour) and had a great time. Nice town, great brewerey, good restaurant (in the brewery - a bit touristy but ok), and a nice, well stocked gift shop. The bus was large and comfortable and even had a steward who served free tea and hot chocolate, all for about $3.20 USD each way. We walked through Plzen, saw the main old town square, some swans in a river, and had a nice large beer in a small, smokey herna bar. A great day. Give it a try the next time you visit.