going to Prague in 5 days!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sewingchick, May 28, 2008.

1. sewingchick

sewingchick New Member

Hi,
    My daughter and I are going to the Czech Republic for 3weeks in 5 days..can you tell we are excited? I have been there for the first time 5 years ago to see tons of relatives and most importantly, to go to Slovakia and see my mothers' village where she was born.

We are staying with relatives in Prague, Cheb, and a village near Pilsen, then off to Slovakia to see my mothers' birthplace. Last time I went I went to visit Czech and Slovakia, I was at the complete mercy of my relatives as far as seeing "the sights'...and while they did a very good job, there are so many things I want to see this time around...I was traveling with them constantly and they were so very gracious with their time however, I wish to go out on my own a bit this time.

I would love to go to Budapest and visit the museums, castles etc and am needing inexpensive accomodation. I have never stayed in a hostel but I am willing to try it. Any recommendations for hostels, hotels or pensions?
    Thanks for any replies!
    sewingchick
    PS- I am dreaming of the Pivo...

2. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Congratulations!
    I would love to go back.....one of these days.

3. The Animal

The Animal Well-Known Member

Blahopřeji! I wish that I could go. Have a nice trip.

Jody

4. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Welcome. It's always nice to see someone so enthusiastic about the country. My father was Czech and I have loved living here, experiencing something of the culture he grew up in.

A bit of advice: I think you'd be better off putting this on the travel section. Introductions tends to be just for newcomers to say hello. Having said that, I'm afraid I can't be very helpful because we haven't stayed much outside Prague.

But we are planning a visit to Budapest in a few weeks and a Hungarian friend has made some suggestions for restaurants. If you are interested, pm me with your email adress and I'll send it to you. It's easy visiting places like Budapest or Vienna from Prague because the Student Agency coach company runs very good, cheap services there.

5. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Wow - am I jealous and envious.

I would love to visit the Czech Republic and see where I was born, meet some relatives I do not know, eat some real Czech food - not food I prepared - like Svickova, Ovocny Knedliky, Veprova-Knedliky a Zeli...and so much more.

Have a wonderful trip and please post a "trip report" when you come back home.

6. Ark1tec

Ark1tec Well-Known Member

Hi, I hope you enjoi your stay in Prague, you sound like you will.I would also love to visit Budapest to see the architecture et al. Just a word of advice about hostels they can be very hit and miss. Some can be unpleasent and 9 times out of 10 you could be in a dormitory. Still some people don't mind sharing with stangers. Some hotels will put an extra bed in a room for a small charge and that can prove economic.
    Would love to hear how your trip goes.
    ARK1TEC. And I'm out.