Hello from London

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by omneo, Sep 18, 2006.

1. omneo

omneo Member

Hi all,

I found this site whilst trying to find details of a Czech language course. I've visited Prague 3 times and Brno once. My last visit was a few weeks ago and I decided that as I will return again i should make an effort to learn Czech rather than stumbling through a phrasebook which usually only gets the person I'm talking to to reply in English :p

I'm working with the Pimsleur essential Czech tapes but I'm not finding it that easy as I swear what i hear and what I say are totally different, but I'm trying ;-)

2. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

Czech is definitely not easy language to learn, especially if you don'thave tutor or someone who could correct you with pronunciation.

3. omneo

omneo Member

Yes, I can safely agree with that. I am looking to see about some tuition as I am pretty sure my pronounciation is terrible!

My friend who is in Brno is reluctant to talk with me on the phone as she thinks her English is poor, she does not realise just how bad my Czech is!

4. ArieA

ArieA Active Member

Ahoj,

Try Skype or Windows Messenger; cost less then phone conversations...!

Na shledanou.... :lol:

5. laylah

laylah Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome.

Do you know the Czech and Slovac Association in London do language classes? Maybe if you're not too close to the centre they would put you in touch with a tutor. You can contact them at 643 Harrow Road, Wembley. Or phone 0208 902 0328 e-mail: secretary@bcsa.co.uk. :)

Do you think the Pimsleur tapes put enough content into each lesson? I was thinking of working with their "conversation" course, which is the first 10 lessons of the comprehensive course plus some additional material, but the downloadable example lesson seemed a bit limited on the amount of new information provided through the lesson - but it was only lesson 1, so I'd be interested to know how it progresses?

Laylah.

6. omneo

omneo Member

Hi Laylah,

I'll contact the C&S Centre and see if they have classes, I've just missed the onces at the Czech centre.

I'm not sure I like the Pimsleur course, I find that what i 'hear' is nothing like the actual word, I'm not sure if it's my hearing or the accents on the tape but I've had to buy a book so I can 'see' the words which makes it slightly easier to figure the words out.

So I've spent 2 weeks learning to say stuff that make no sense whatsoever :p The lessons are quite short and seem to focus on saying just a few things, OK I've made it to lesson 3 so that may not be a good basis to work from ;) The tapes are good if you happen to be American or English as those are the 2 nationalities they cater for, as a Scot I've had to look elsewhere to find out how to say where I'm from :p

7. laylah

laylah Well-Known Member

Hi Laylah here again,

realised that I meant the Czech Centre when giving information on language couses. :oops: It might still be worth giving The C&S assoc. a bell though.

Thanks for the feedback on the Pimsleur - it confirms what I felt about it and will save me the expense and disappointment of buying it. :p