Help with Czech please!

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Rebekah, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Rebekah

Rebekah Member

Hello all,

I am trying to learn the Czech language but I'm having a little difficuly. Could you please tell which is best to learn first ... reading , writing, or speaking? I can speak a few words but can't write at all. So please could you let me know which is best to learn first?!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Rebekah

2. Molson25

Molson25 Member

I have been in Prague for about 5 months now... The best is to put yourself amounst other Czech speaking people... you'd be amazed how much you learn by just listening.... If you want to learn to talk to people learn how to read their language first... from there you can learn how to say the words... from there you can learn how to speak and listen... It is a very complex language I must say and it has been a challenge for me... :)

Cau...

Mark
    Kitchener Ontario Canada currently in Prague ...

3. Rebekah

Rebekah Member

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the advice. I can speak a few words but that's only because my mother has been using them as long as I can remember. When I went to the Czech Republic to spend a two weeks with my mother and grandfather they were continuosly speaking Czech and to tell you the truth I couldn't understand a thing. Honestly I couldn't even make out the letters. But thanks for the help and good luck in Praha!

4. jitka

jitka New Member

Ahoj Rebekah

My name is Jitka and I'm from Czech Republic.When I first came to USA, the language was very difficult for me too.I used to take English classes in Czech Republic.When I first came ,I understood the language but I was not able to answer and conversation was very difficult for me.It took me every day practice almost half year ,till I was more comfortable with my English.Writting was not too difficult but reading and understanding.I think I learn the most from listening...tv... people conversations and conversations with my husband and from my mother in law.She is the type of a person who likes to talk.....and talk ...and talk :) and that was my luck.I just want to tell you that the Czech language is difficult but...you should never give up! I'm sure that with everyday practicing you'll be one day really good in Czech language...and everybody will be proud of you specially your grandma and grandpa :).I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK REBEKAH! Cau Jitka

5. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

That really depends on your general way of learning. If you prefer spoken word to writing start by that. I'm a visual learner and I did best when learning languages by reading and writing. You will find that at the beginning a foreign language is a bewildering puzzle but one day all the pieces snap together and you see the whole picture.