is it not my cup of tea?

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Lorenzo, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Living in the Czech Republic, I couldn't help but notice how much tea Czechs like to drink: black tea and all the other possible colors and tastes :) I like tea and I thought that my two to three cups a day in Italy (not common down there) were quite a fair amount of liquid but here it's mass consumption :)
    Quite unsual to witness for someone that comes from a country addicted to coffee :)
    How did this strong relationship between Czechs and tea begin? :)

Lorenzo

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

When I was growing up there. One kind of really lousy tea was around (always black). EVERYBODY was drinking "turkish coffee": heaped up coffee spoon of powder ground black roasted coffee into cup + boiling water on the top. You can still buy them.

From what I have noticed, tea came to force after or shortly before revolution with one of the new "fancy tea" shops openning on Narodni Trida and many many more shops soon after. With Vietnamese (and "modern vegetarians") tea-rooms came to fashion. CR also paying attention to "natural" turning again to herbal teas in more fashionable form than their grandmas Rosehip and Cammomile tea (which was very innexpensive and considered "homy". Rosehip tea was available for school children with their lunch (free of charge), because of vitamin C.

That is what I have observed through the years.