Learning Czech for Aussie girl living in Brno

Discussion in 'Language Exchange & Czech Classes' started by richndebczechaus, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Hi everyone :)
    Even though I am married to a Czech guy who speaks English brilliantly, I have said to myself that I will use the first 3 months of living in Brno to attempt to learn the language from someone other than Richard ie; a tutor(should be much easier as Rich and I tend to laugh too much and slip back into English all the time).
    Is three months realistic? Would I be just wasting that time and could it be better spent just trying to pick the language up as I go along?
    I find the language hard to pronounce because of what I refer to as "the gutteral" aspect to a few of the words. Some people tell me I sound like I am singing them (hicc)!
    We will be living on the outskirts of Brno in Kninincky from April 07, and we have plenty of Czech friends.
    Do I go with the tutor idea, or should I just "wing" it? :shock:

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Is your husband by chance from Prague? Moravians are always saying Pražáci spívají (translation: Prague natives sing). Maybe in Prague, you would fit in nicely!

Three months? It depends on a lot of factors. 1) How much you already know, 2) What kind of aptitude you have for languages, 3) How hard you are willing to work at the language, e.g. how many hours per day will you study and converse with Czech. In short, you can learn a lot in 3 months if you apply yourself. At the same time, expecting fluency in that time is not realistic. Conversational, yes, this is doable, but will take hard work.