Low fat food in Prague?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by mounthigh, Jan 14, 2006.

1. mounthigh

mounthigh New Member

I am going to Prague next weekend and I have to eat a low fat diet. Reading some of the messages I am wondering what I will eat for 4 days!
    Can anyone recommend anywhere in Prague to eat that will serve food that is not fried or has red meat in it?

I can eat white fish and chicken (poultry), also vegetables and fruit but need to be careful with meals that may have butter, margarine or cooking oil in them.

Any suggestions?

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

jesus - for four days why bother - just eat and enjoy. you ain't gonna die.

3. GlennInFlorida

BTW - I also follow a low fat diet and have lost 45 lbs. in the past year or so. I ate what ever I wanted in Praha and still lost 4 lbs. because of all the walking. Do yourself a favor and enjoy the local cuisine - you will still have 361 days to recoup. Life is too short to get wrapped up in minutiae.
    Then again, it occured to me that you may have a medical reason (other than diet control) for eating low fat. If so, you will need to do a bit of looking around and careful menu study - there don't seem to be a lot of Czech low fat options. Most places will have salads and/or fruit side dishes and it is possible to get grilled chicken and fish. Prague has a great variety of foreign restaurants (chinese, greek, thai, mexican, even cuban) and you may have luck finding a lower fat menu in some of them. You can also buy fresh fruit, crispy vegetables, and low fat yogurt at a store like Tesco and keep them on hand in your room - use them to fill in before or after eating out if menus are lacking and you still feel hungry. Good luck.

4. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

mounthigh, Country Life on Melantrichova ulice (Praha 1)is great for low fat and vegetarian dishes. they have home-made soups and salads and other entrees that you buy by weight, so you control the portion size. Also good is Radost F/X Cafe on Belehradska ulice (Praha 2). They also serve poultry and fish dishes and other meats, but all seems to be steamed/poached and low fat

5. magan

magan Well-Known Member

I would also go with advice of Glenn. 4 days is not really worth worrying about it. I am assuming that you will be going into tourist ty\pe of restaurants and they have menus in English. What in on the plate is described so you can just follow that. You will be able to read what is fried and what is not.

Just ask (better to have it written on piece of paper):"nemastit" (it means no fat on top of the food i.e. potato, mushed potato, on top ot the dumplings). That is only thing I would be converned about. The rest of it is good Czech food and you may miss your only opportunity to enjoy something different.
    Have a good time!

6. mounthigh

mounthigh New Member

Thanks for these replies, all very helpful.
    It is for medical reasons that I cannot eat fat. I will be very ill if I do. On a recent 3 night visit to Belgium I was not careful enough and was quite ill one night. So I want to be careful.
    Looking forward to my stay all the same.

7. GlennInFlorida

Be careful, eat well. and have a wonderful visit!