more bugs to work out.

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by Calvario, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Calvario

Calvario Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's difficult to know if something has been declined at all in the accusative because the nominative and acc. are the same in certain cases.

Pan Černý je tak starý, zě už nesmí pracovat. Paní Černá je také stará, ale ještě má velmi důležité místo.

Mr. Černý is so old he is no longer allowed to work. Mrs. Černý is very old too, but she still has a very important job.

Here's my question. Because of the verb "mít" used here in the form of má is the neutre noun místo in the accusative? Which declines the adjective důležitý to the accusative důležité, in the neutre. When the verb mít is used does it always decline the preceding noun in the accusative?

I have a car. I have a friend. He has the money. She has the books.
    mám auto. mám přítela (muže). má (ten) peníze. má (ty) knihy

Musím koupit sešity. I have to buy books. Is sešit in the accusative here also. I suspect so, but because the nominative and accusative are the same here I dont know for sure.

Thanks ,
    Calvario

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Which preceding word?

mít něco (4) = have (got) / possess / own something

The accusative is replacable by genitive, but the meaning is a little shifted. But that's infrequent nowadays.

3. Calvario

I'm sorry. I didn't mean preceding noun I meant the following noun. The noun following the verb mít. If you could Wer, go back and look at my last post with this correction in mind .I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Calvario

4. Wicker808

Wicker808 Well-Known Member

Calvario,

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking how to determine which case is expected by the verb mít. Your supposition is correct: the object of the verb mít (like the object of most verbs) should be in accusative, and the subject of the verb mít (like the subject of most verbs) in the nominative. Be careful, however, of using terms like "previous" and "following" because the order of the words in Czech is highly flexible. For example, these sentences differ only in focus:

Můj kamarád má auto. Auto má můj kamarád.

In both instances the object, auto, is in accusative.

I hope this helped you.

5. Wicker808

Wicker808 Well-Known Member

By the way, some corrections:

Peníze is plural, so the demonstrative adjective is "ty."

6. Calvario

wicker808
    That was exactly my question. Thanks for your input.

Calvario