name definition

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by Leslee Green, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Leslee Green

Leslee Green Active Member

What could the name Kaupka/Kaubka have meant in early Bohemia?

2. wer

wer Well-Known Member

In early Bohemia? Do you think in Boiic era? :wink:

OK, seriously.

The diphthong au is untypical for Czech in modern era (cca last three centuries), is sounds as a germanized (possibly repetitively rebohemized and regearmanized) variant of several common Czech names. But it could be also old Czech (cca 15th century) transcription of these names.

Some possibilities:

1) derived from biblic name Jacob (Czech names: Kuba, Kouba, Koubek...)

2) cognate to noun kapka (= drop)

3) cognate to noun kápě (= hood, cowl)

4) cognate to noun kupa/kopa (= pile, heap)

5) cognate to noun kopec (= hill)

6) cognate to verb koupit (= to buy)

In fact, at least last three items are of common origin, but they're distinguished in modern Czech.

P.S. I bet on 1) and 4).

3. Leslee Green

Thanks for your reply. I guess that I should have given a date rather than just "early". This name was found in the Register of Serf according to their confession from the Year 1651. I keep getting confused with when was it German vs Bohemian/Czech?
    BTW what was the Boiic era?

4. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Precisely! Especially in combination with Bohemia it is confusing. Bohemia is a name for the country and it is much older than Czech nation/language. (Use adjective Czech when speaking about language.) The name Bohemia is derived from the name of Celtic tribe called Boii, thereof my reference to Boiic era.
    I think the name was originally Czech and the au originated in German transcription of Czech ou or ů which are unusual for Germans.

BTW, the Czech/German name doesn't mean the holder of the name was of corresponding nationality. The names were often ordained by keeper of records.

5. Leslee Green

Thanks for your help. When did Bohemia become Czechoslovakia?

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

7. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

In my opinion this is the correct possibility.
    The name belong to a rather big family of surnames, derived from the name Jacob (in Czech Jakub)

Kouba, Kubík, Koubek, Kubát, Kubíček, Koubal, Koubalík, Koubas, Koubovec, Koubík, Koubin, Koubít, Kouble, Koubný, Koubovec, Koubský, Koubus, Jakoubek, Jakubík,
    Kubík, Kuba, Kubač,... and many others (I have found some 20 more) :)

8. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

My Duden surname dictionary concurs. Granted, it's a collection of names found in German-speaking areas, but lots of Slavic surnames are mentioned (as well as Turkish and Spanish :? , from the Gastarbeiter I suppose).