Pen Pal friend

Discussion in 'General Language' started by scrimshaw, Oct 1, 2005.

1. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

I am working on learning the Czech language. I enjoy languages and have a little knowledge of the Spanish language too.
    I feel it would be a real accomplishment for me if I could get a working knowledge of the Czech language.
    I have studied it on my own for more than a year, and to correspond regularly with a pen pal would really help. And I can help you with english if you want to learn that language.
    Doufam, ze nekdy mi napise. Mohl by zabave.
    Je mu 48. Behem roky 70's, byl jsem v Nemecke. Velmi pekny. Jsem se jisty, ze CR je take moc krasny.Vsude pise, ze je tam mesto bajecne.
    David :)

2. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

I corrected your czech text you to can teach more about czech:

However, very very cool you learned czech so much in one year :eek:. According to my humble opinion (i'm not a language scientist :)), you are in "50 % of learning the czech language", if i can express it in percents :p.

BTW fill the info in your profile. Currently i don't know nothing about you (country, ...).

3. scrimshaw

Hey Ladis--I want to thank you for responding. That is great. And thanks for saying I am almost 50% there in learning Cech. That is a real compliment.
    You write excellent english. How did you manage that?
    I like the saying
    Kolik jazyky znas, tolik clovekem jsi.
    I have always loved languages.
    Thanks again Ladis---i will work on that profile thing.
    Znam pritel, ze bydli v Praze. No, znam ho prostrednictvim(is that word appropriate here?) dopisy. Bydli nedaleko od U fleku, s zenou a miminem.
    David

4. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

We (in CR) learn a foreign language (mostly English, someones German) since the 5th grade of a basic school. Thus when you are at university, it's a long time of learning it ;)

The sentence "Kolik jazyky znas, tolik clovekem jsi" is right "Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem" (tolik=so much, tolikrat=so many times; about the word order, it can be [subject] [verb] [object] and when there's no subject said, expect it at the beginning, so "tolikrat (ty) jsi clovekem"). (Even when I don't like correcting texts in forums, i do it here since this is a forum for people wanting to learn something :))

Tvého přítele bohužel neznám. Slovo "prostřednictvím" normálně používáme, i když zde můžeš použít "skrz" (through) :)

5. scrimshaw

Ladis--you're great. I appreciate any corrections you want to make to my letters. That's how I will improve. And I do want to get better at this. It has become some kind of a mission for me now. Something I must do.
    Nice challenge and keeps me busy.
    Vim, ze to nebudu nikdy mluvit plynule, ale budou lide prekvapeny, ze vubec to mluvit. A bude pro mne osoba uspech.
    Hey--Ladis
    Can you tell me if the lines I have written below in the signature lines are gramatically correct.
    Thanks

6. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

1. use the word order [subject] [verb] [object] ("ze to nebudu nikdy mluvit" -> "ze (ja)[subject] nebudu[verb] to[object] nikdy mluvit", "budou lide prekvapeny" -> "lide[subject] budou[verb] prekvapeny")
    2. "osoba uspech" = "person success" (nonsense): 'osoba'=noun, 'osobní'=adjective of it, thus "osobní úspěch" ;) (BTW creating the adjective of "osoba" is in this way: osoba -> remove 'a' -> add "-ní" according to the "model" word "jar|ní" - however, when i was thinking about explaining the creating adjectives in czech, i found it's too dificult for me since different words have adjectives according to different "model words" :()
    3. "Vim, ze nebudu to nikdy mluvit plynule, ale lide budou prekvapeny, ze vubec to mluvit. A bude pro mne osobni uspech." -> "Vim, ze nebudu (to)[remove it since we know you are talking about czech, so you don't need to point on it by "to"] nikdy mluvit plynule, ale lide budou prekvapeny[should be "prekvapení", however, in the colloquial czech, we use the masculine "non-animate" endings for all plural adjectives, so you are right when talking live :)], ze vubec česky[="czech"; instead of "to" here, because people would ask you what you mean by "to"] mluvím[not infinitive else the sentence won't have a verb ;) - see the difference: "i talk it at all"[good] vs. "i to talk it at all"[bad]]. A to[subject][*1] bude pro mne osobni uspech." (*1 - without that "to", it will mean "And a personal success will be for me" (= "A osobni uspech bude pro mne"), with that "to", it will mean more understandable "And it[subject] will be a personal success for me" :))
    4. "Zivot vzdy je dobry, jestli zavrime oci" -> "Život[subject] je[verb] vždy dobrý, když [better; jestli/jestliže=if, když=when] zavřeme [complicated to explain, czech is just strange for its word morphing, however there's a system in it :D] oči"
    5. "Nejkrasnejsi je casto v malych vecich" - if I understand the meaning as "the most beautiful one is often in small things", it will be "Nejkrásnější je často v malých věcech", however, the sentence sounds very strange for me - i would write "Krása je často v malých věcech" (= the beauty is often in small things)

EDIT: Hmm, when i read it again, i found "Vim, ze to nebudu nikdy mluvit plynule" [1] can be right when i replace "to" by "cesky" [3]. However i recommend the word order [words like 'when', 'and', 'if', ...] [subject] [verb] [object] [the rest] (like in english) and change the word order "to tune" the sentence meaning only when you know exactly what you are doing :)

7. scrimshaw

Thanks for all that Ladis. A lot of good advise. I don't want to talk non-sense. A bude to vsechno v prodadku jestli se ucim z vasich slov.
    Hey-if you ever have questions about english grammar, let me know. But I can see you are very good at it already.
    Rad jsem, ze jste rozhodl odpovedet meho dopisy.
    Mnoho lide tam mluvi anglicky?

8. scrimshaw

Old habits die hard.
    I can see I fell right back into the same pattern.
    Lepe, jestli napisu.
    Mluvi tam mnoho lide anglicky?

9. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

That's the good word order, now you have problems only with declinations of nouns and adjectives. However, czechs would understand you very well now ;)

I googled some useful texts about the declination:
    EDIT: Oops! I haven't answered your question :oops: ("Mluvi tam mnoho lidí anglicky?"). So, a foreign language (75 % english, 25 % german, i think - students can choose) is taught here since the 5th grade of basic schools, so students and young people (<= 25) know English well. But it's worse about older people (> 30). Just ask some boy/girl looking like a student when you have a problem ;)

10. scrimshaw

Thanks Ladis
    You've beena great help.
    Tady je brzy rano, a musim odejit pro kavu. Myslim dobre ted sotva v Anglicky, natoz cesky.
    Ahhh----autumn in CR. Tusim, ze je moc hezky.

11. scrimshaw

:D Hey those sites look very useful. I am familiar with the local lingo. site, and have used it, but not the other. When I get time I will go through it.

12. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

Tvým rodilým jazykem není Angličtina? Tady je teď zataženo a občas prší. Nicméně příští týden se má oteplit a být zas hezky.

English is not your native language? Here it's cloudy now and sometimes rains. However higher temperatures and a nice weather may be again the next week.

13. scrimshaw

Ano-Ladis, Anglictina je mym narodilym jazykem(I have no idea why I am using instrumental case here). Proc se ptejte?
    Tady na Floride je jasne. Je jeste teplo behem dne, ale rano a vecer je docela pohodlny.

14. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

I misunderstood it, i though English is not your native language (e.g. you moved to the USA :)) when you told "thinking in English is hard for me like thinking in Czech" (when i know czech is not your native lang.).

I don't care about the weather here since I'm at home at my notebook (when I;m not at school) and working on one my game (a simple kart racing game) :)

15. scrimshaw

Oh- I see now, why the misunderstanding. What I meant was-It was early in the morning and I wasn't yet thinking clearly, even in my own language.
    English is my first language, studied spanish in school and got pretty good at that, now I have decided to try my hand at Cech.
    I like learning languages.
    Thanks for all your responses. It is a great help.
    Today my server was out fora couple hours. That doesn't happen often. Glad it's running again.
    Uz je pozde, a chce se mi spat.
    You're pretty good at the compuer games? I'm not.
    Cao

16. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

Ok :)

I'm not good at playing computer games, but i program them (their engines, my hobby) and other people make design, graphics and levels in them. Just click the WWW button under my post ;)

17. scrimshaw

Hey, I am impressed. You have to be pretty smart to be able to do that. I would not have a clue.
    You will do well, when you go out to find work, I am sure. Those skills are in big demand.
    Studujete na univerzite?

18. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

19. scrimshaw

Sounds like you're going to do well. Good education is everything.
    I did some college, but not in the technical field. Very general. Associates degree. Very glad I got it though.
    Took me awhile.
    Cao, odejdu ted. Musim byt na stanice autobus, kdyz prijde mladou dceru
    kamaradky.