Pictures

Discussion in 'Looking for Ancestors' started by gypzy, Jun 19, 2006.

1. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Could someone who's ancestors have Illinois connections, Czech or not, look at my pictures. See if you might recognize anyone? Or if your like me and like looking at old pictures of strangers take a look. I'm also trying to figure out time periods for the unknown people, maybe this can give me clues as to who they are. www.kallisancestry.com/FamAlbumPics

Thanx in advance,
    gypzy

2. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

Whee! I love old photos! Unfortunately, I'm not much help with dating...judging by the clothing styles, I'd say most of the unknown women and the two boys are from the 1880's. "Unknown Kallis sister" has a different dress and hair style which looks earlier to me, but I can't be sure. The dress on the unknown girl from Coal City looks like it's from the turn of the 20th century, late 1890's-1900's. No experts in historical fashion on this board?

3. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

That was my first impression, too, although I'm not an expert. The style of pictures is similar to those in my family from that period of time. I'd give it a +/- 20 years.

4. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Thank you ceit and Sova for looking at my pictures and at least trying to figure how old they might be. I wonder if there is a book on trying to figure out how old photos are. Maybe if I'm lucky I can find one strictly on Illinois studios. As some of the photographs were taken at the same studio, but different caligraphy on the cardbacks.