Power Adaptor --> Transformer --> Power Strip --> D

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by S2kDriver, Aug 21, 2005.

  1. S2kDriver

    S2kDriver Well-Known Member

    Hi, I'll be going to the CR in a couple of weeks and I'll be bringing along a few electronics - laptop, router, electric shaver, mobile phone charger, alarm clock, etc. For ones that can only handle 120V/60Hz, I would need a attenuating transformer, right? Are these transformers small or bulky?

    If they are small, I'm thinking I can first plug the adaptor into the Czech wall socket. Then, I could plug the transformer in. Then, I can use a 6-socket power strip (surge protector), which in turn can power all of my USA devices. Would this idea work and is it safe? Thanks in advance.
  2. Jeff

    Jeff Well-Known Member

    Hi Paul,

    The first thing you should do is look at the power requirements for each electronic item you are bringing. I think most of them will be dual voltage - such as the laptop, router, electric shaver, and mobile phone charger. If that is the case, then you will only need an adapter. I suggest a battery powered travel alarm clock. :)

    Your idea of plugging in a power strip should be fine for electronics that do not need a transformer. You could purchase an adapter, so you can plug it into the wall. Make sure you do not purchase a power strip with a switch or circuit breaker because I do not think they would work here. Just so you know, power strips and adapters can be found here in such places as Datart and Tesco.

    If you do have an item that is not dual voltage, keep in mind that a transformer is not intended for continuous use (as far as I know). It could be used to plug something in to charge it. I think using a power strip with a transformer would end up overloading it.

    You might find the following thread helpful: Electricty!
  3. S2kDriver

    S2kDriver Well-Known Member

    Thanks Jeff. Yes, I've already checked the labelling on my router and shaver - they both require 120V/60Hz only, the rest allows a range which covers both continents.

    Why couldn't we all just share one standard? :)
  4. S2kDriver

    S2kDriver Well-Known Member

    Before I went to the CR, I purchased something called Eurosurge. It is a plug adaptor (branches out to 2 plugs) and surge protector in one. It does not convert voltage so the US plugs must be able to handle worldwide ratings. I didn't bring my router and I bought a new Braun electric shaver that can handle worldwide specs.

Share This Page