shopping for yarn

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by ollie143, Jan 31, 2004.

1. ollie143

ollie143 New Member

hi, i will be visiting prague in april and want to know if there are any yarn stores where i can shop. i especially want to buy wool.

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I will know next week if I am going to Prague. If I do then I will leave week later. I am always doing LOTS of walking. Prague is definitely walking city. Make sure that you are wearing good walking shoes as there is lots of cobblestones and little cobbles on the sidewalks too which can make hell for your feet. However, with good shoes you will forget how much you walk as city is absolutly fabulous.

So.... as I will be doing lots of walking, I am sure I will see store where they sell Yarn. Is it only for your personal use? Quite often there is department in Department store where they sell yarn. I will see.

If you don't get many answers to your question, I will get back to this board when I am in Prague and let you know what I have discovered.

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Well, I think it's pretty easy to buy yarn in the Czech Republic. I don't really see a problem in finding a store. Like magan said, department stores have departments that sell sewing/knitting items, and there are also specialized stores. Knitting is quite popular in the Czech Republic. You want to look for stores or departments called "Galanterie" or "Textilni galanterie" - those sell sewing and knitting needles, yarn, buttons, zippers, etc. There is also "Kožená galanterie", which you don't want as those sell leather items.

4. ollie143

ollie143 New Member

thanks for the help. i make and sell felted hats. they helped pay for my trip to prague. last year when i visited my son in florence, italy, i found a yarn store in sienna and brought back some beautiful yarns that were more expensive here in the states. it's fun for me to see what is offered elsewhere. get back to me if you see a specific store. thanks, marsha

5. himaine

himaine New Member

I am leaving for the Czech Republic next week. I will not be spending much time in Prague, but I will be in the country over a week on an OAT trip. I was pleased to hear that there is a lot of knitting there.

I will apprecaite any specific hints you can give me.

Does anyone know if knitting is allowed on the Austria Airline?

Thanks

6. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

If you're travelling through the U.S., your knitting needles might be confiscated as weapons :lol:.

7. metric

metric Well-Known Member

My wife is a knitter and she tells me that wooden knitting needles are permitted on airliners. She has travelled in the US and to Peru without any problem.

We also would be interested to know of good shops for yarn and knitting supplies in Prague or elsewhere in Czech Republic.