short but urgent translation needed!

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by Jakube24, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Jakube24

Jakube24 Active Member

Hi,

I would appreciate it if somebody could translate this for me.

Dear Professor,

I wish to apply to study the third year course of the czech language. I have already obtained the second year exam. I know this is not usual given my situation but i do not feel it would be too much of a burden for me. I would greatly appreciate it if you could accomodate me.

Thanks very much guys!

2. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

If you are doing third year of Czech you should be able to translate it somehow I guess.

3. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

That was my thought as well gementricxs. But perhaps this person can translate it and has attempted but just wants to be sure it is exactly correct. If I were asking for an unusual promotion as this, I would want to be absolutely positive my czech was correct when asking.

4. gementricxs

Yes, I know what you mean dzurisovak, I just think it would be better if he would show his attempts, so the person who will be translating it can see that he actually made some attempts. it just looks better than "hey, here's the text, translate it!"

5. dzurisova

Well perhaps Jakube24 wants to see if that works and that's how he plans on getting through the third level class! :lol:

Just kidding Jakube24. :wink: :twisted:

6. gementricxs

Vážený profesore,
    Chtěl bych se přihlásit ke studiu třetího roku kurzu českého jazyka. Již jsem obdržel test za druhý rok. Vím, že to v mé situaci není obvyklé, ale nemyslím si, že by to pro mě byla moc velká zátěž. Ocenil bych, pokud byste mě mohl vyhovět.

7. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

I would just alter it a bit:
    - Vážený pane profesore...
    - "Již jsem obdržel test za druhý rok." - Means "I have received the second year test." Maybe Jakube wants to say "I have passed the second year exam", in which case it should be "Již jsem složil zkoušku za druhý ročník".
    - pokud byste mi mohl vyhovět.

8. dzurisova

Once again gementricxs, you took the high road! Thumbs up to you!

9. gementricxs

Sure Halef, I agree with all the changes, thanks for that little corrections.

10. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Chtěl bych do toho dizkuze, jestli smím, hodit malou otazku. :)

Proč je nakonec slovo jazyk, v překladem nad timhle, pismen A místo pismena U?
    Proč není to ...kurzu českého jazyku?

11. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Some words of model "hrad" are a little irregular. They follow submodel "les" or "zámek". There're also some words oscillating between these models.

nom. hrad, les, zámek / hrady, lesy, zámky (singular / plural)
    gen. hradu, lesa, zámku / hradů, lesů, zámků
    dat. hradu, lesu, zámku / hradům, lesům, zámkům
    acc. hrad, les, zámek / hrady, lesy, zámky
    voc. hrade!, lese!, zámku! / hrady!, lesy!, zámky!
    loc. hradu, hradě, lesu, lese, zámku / hradech, lesech, lesích zámcích
    ins. hradem, lesem, zámkem / hrady, lesy, zámky

12. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Děkuji
    Neustále se učím něco.
    To je bohužel trošku, ne radši píšu, velmi složitý.

13. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Neustále se něco učím.
    or
    Neustále se učím něco nového.

14. alenastef

alenastef Well-Known Member

15. wer

wer Well-Known Member

No, it is'nt. The question of "uši/ucha" is related to dual, but jazyk has nothing to do with dual. In addition, both "jazyku" and "jazyka" are inanimate forms (animate masculines are of model "pán", "muž", "soudce", "přeseda" or exceptionally "kuře").

16. alenastef

alenastef Well-Known Member

Oh... so no difference between tongue and language? :shock: