Translation Request for a short article. . .

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by davidherter, Jul 21, 2004.

1. davidherter

davidherter New Member

Dobry Den,

I'm an American writer, and I came upon this article about an essay I wrote. I tried an online translation program, and received amusingly nonsensical babble. Though, if the program is even slightly close, the article doesn't seem to be too positive.
    Nonetheless, could somebody please translate it, or, if it's too harsh, just give me the gist?
    I would be very grateful.
    thanks
    David Herter

Na serveru Locus Online se minulý pátek objevil zajímavý článek - Dopis z Brna Davida Hertera, amerického spisovatel SF. David Herter má vedle SF v oblibě také hudbu, a do Brna ho přivedl hudební festival s janáčkovskou tématikou. Našel si ale chvíli na procházky městem a na SF. Pro mne byl jeho článek velmi zajímavou reflexí cizince, a zaujal mne i specifickým slučováním hudebních a SF témat.

Autorovi článku jsem prominul některé nepřesnosti, vyplývající z komunikačně kulturních zádrhelů - vězení národů je v české kultuře, či spíše v naší politice určitého období, synonymum pro celé Rakousko-Uhersko a nikoliv jenom pro špilberské kasematy, stejně tak fejetony psal Karel Čapek a nikoliv Leoš Janáček. Spíše mi to připomnělo úskalí při vnímání cizí kultury, úskalí toho druhu, se kterým se setkává každý překladatel dnes a denně.

Vedle poměrně obsažného - a i pro českého (a moravského, potažmo brněnského) čtenáře objevného povídání o Leoši Janáčkovi a jeho žákovi Pavlovi Haasovi (zemřel v Terezíně, bratr herce a režiséra Hugo Haase), či připomenutí dalších slavných brněnskch rodáků - Johanna Gregora Mendela (1822-1884) či Ericha Wolfganga Korngolda (1897-1957), který emigrací do USA unikl osudu desítek tisíc dalších brněnských Židů a stal se uznávaným hollywoodským filmovým skladatelem, u nás však prakticky neznámým.

Za svůj velký zážitek označil operu Výlety pana Broučka, provedenou souborem Národního divadla pod taktovkou Sira Charlese Mackerasse. Svému nadšení dal průchod způsobem, na jaký je ze svých domácích divadel zvykem - postavil se a aplaudoval, a byl šokován tím, že domácí diváci seděli a dívali se na něj jako na vyrušitele - ukázka další kulturní odlišnosti, jeden z německých diváků vedle něj ho dokonce za šos obleku stáhl zpátky na sedadlo. Davidovu reakci v článku na tuhle příhodu nepřekládám, najděte si ji tam sami - je to four-letter word.

David Herter proložil svůj článek fotografiemi z Brna, vyjadřujícími jeho obdiv k architektuře a atmosféře města, a také vyprávěním o tom, jak byl mile překvapen SF speciálkou Arakis, či popisem toho, jak sháněl výtisk Výletů pana Broučka od Svatopluka Čecha, aby si s sebou domů přivezl alespoň malou připomínku na operu, která se mu tak líbila.

Doporučuji vám, abyste si jeho článek přečetli v originále, je mnohem rozsáhlejší a obsahuje řadu velmi zajímavých detailů, i když spíše o Janáčkovi, Haasovi, Terezínu a Čapkovi, než o SF. Ale pro americké fany to je velmi zajímavá studie o naší zemi a SF a připomínka toho, že česká kultura přispěla k vývoji světové SF jak v literárním, tak v hudebním žánru. Pro nás to je zase poměrně vzácná možnost vidět, jak nás vnímá cizinec - a navíc člověk, který je také fan SF.

2. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

No, it is quite positive. I will post the translation later today, just a summary now:

There is your an article, Letter from Brno, which the author considers an interesting reflexion of a foreigner, and likes your "mixing" musical and SF themes.
    Although you made some inter-cultural mistakes, it is nice how you wrote about Janacek, Pavel Haas etc.
    He remindes your another "cultural mistake" - standing ovation after seeing the Vylety pana Broucka opera.
    Then he recommendes everyone to read your article in English, it is much larger and contains lots of ineresting info. He thinks your article is an interesting study of Czechia for US fans, reminding that Czech culture contributed to world SF, and on the other hand, a nice chance for Czechs to read an outside view on us from another SF fan.

3. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

So, the translation:

There has appeared an interesting article on te Locus online server last Friday - Letter from Brno by David Herter, American SF writer.

Besides the SF, David Herter also likes music, and was brought to Brno by a musical festival with Janacek thematics. But he also found some time for walks around the city and for SF. For me, his article was a very interesting reflex of a foreigner, and also interested me with his specific way of mixing musical and SF themes.

I have excused the author for some inaccuratenesses, implying from comunication-cultural difficulties - the "prison of nations" is in Czech culture, or better in the politics of a specific era, a synonym for the whole Austrian-Hungarian empire, not only for Spilberk's dungeon, also it was Karel Capek who was writing fuilletons, not Leos Janacek. It has reminded me the obstacles in understanding foreign culture, the obstacles of that kind that every translator encouters daily.

Besides quite extensive - and even for a Czech (and Moravian, or Brno-an) reader discovering - talking about Leos Janacek and his student Pavel Haas (died in Terezin, brother of the actor and director Hugo Haas), or reminding more famous Brno natives - Johann Gregor Mendel (1822-1884) or Erich Wolfgang Korngold (1897-1957), who by emigrating to USA escaped the fate of tens of thousands of other Brno Jews and became a reputable Hollywood score composer, but virtually unknown in our country.
    (This paragraph is quite oddly formed, maybe there is a part missing?)

As his great experience he marks the opera Excursions of Mr Broucek, performed by the National theatre ensemble lead by Sir Charles

Mackerass. He expressed his excitement in a way he is used to in his home theaters - he stood up and aplauded, and was shocked by the fact that the local spectators remained seated and considered him a disturber - another example of cultural difference. One of the German spectators beside him even pulled his suit to make him sit down. I do not translate Davids reaction to this incident, find it yourself in the article - it is a four-letter word.

David Herter accompanied his article by photos of Brno, expressing his admiration of the city's architecture and atmosphere, and also by talking about him being pleasantly surprised by a SF special shop Arakis, or describing his looking for a printout of Mr Broucek's Excursions, to bring home at least a small reminder of the opera he liked so much.

I recommend you to read his article in English, it is much more extensive and contains lots of interesting details, although more about Janacek, Haas, Terezin or Capek than about SF. But for American fans it is an interesting study of our country and a reminder of the fact, that the Czech culture contributed to the developement of world's SF in both literal and musical way. For us, on the other hand, it is a quite rare chance to read how a foreigner sees us - and what more, a man who is also a SF fan.

Here is the original article and the Czech reaction I translated.

4. davidherter

davidherter New Member

Thank you, Halef!
    I'm pleased the article was appreciated.
    Could you perhaps add any insight into the cultural mistake of standing and clapping after a concert performance?
    david herter

5. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

I must say, Halef, I'm awed by your helpful nature. I have a friend who makes a living translating Czech into English and I know how much she charges for the service. This is a fine gift indeed!

6. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

I thought about it, and I am afraid I can't find any explanation :) It is just not usuall. I have only seen standing ovation during those "welcome to hall of fame, 90 year old actor" events. As I feel it, with standing up you express rather respect than excitement or apprecitiation. In theaters or concert halls you can clap furiously, shout "Bravo" or whatever you feel like doing - but remain seated :)

Maybe this type of reaction was somehow discredited in the communist era, when standing up and clapping rytmically was a usuall part of the party conferences. But I am too young to be certain with this. Also, I think (maybe wrong) that standing up is unusuall in other European countries as well, not just CZ.