Travelling into Prague from the airport

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by philtepper, Apr 4, 2006.

1. philtepper

philtepper Member

I'm trying to decide how four people with luggage can get into central Prague from the airport. Can taxis cope with such loads? Or is it better (and cheaper?) to take the bus to Dejvická followed by the metro to Staroměstská, near where we're staying? All advice gratefully received.

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

If you do get taxi PHONE AAA as it is taxi service where they will tell you (in Engl.) approx. how it will be and are honest. Cars are usually smaller than in USA/Canada and it is (usually for 3 passengers +driver). I am not sure how much luggage you carry around. It would be shame to pay for two taxis. To Staromestska it will be approx. 425 Kc + waiting time at the lights and loading and unloading. See here where you can fill in exact address where you are accommodated http://www.aaataxi.cz/en/index.php?id=22

If you PM me with address of your accommodation I will tell you how far you would have to carry your luggage from Staromestska. I live right there and I take Metro from airport every time.

Re Bus/Metro: as suggested million times, get your Metropass for as many days as you are coming for at the airport. With this pass your all publ. transportation will be "free".

You will pull your luggage across the road, turn right, go to 119 bus stand. You will have to pul up your luggage up the buss steps. When you arrive at Dejvicka, again you will have to lift luggage down the step of the bus. Going down to Dejvicka Metro there are regular stairs (1), to avoid that, you pass the entrance on right side and will get to elevator (structure on the street). That will take you underground and then you just take excalator. EAsy by Metro, just 3 stops I think. However, after you get up by excalator from the train at Staromestska, there are stair to get up to the street. There are also 3 exits so check which exit to get out first to save yourself steps on the street.
    Let me know if you need any other details.

3. frosken

frosken Member

Another suggestion is to use the 'Cedaz' service...

That's what I used to get to my Hotel...or very close to it!

Cedaz's "standard service" stops at Namesti Republicky, which was a 3-minute walk to my hotel...fast, friendly and CHEAP (90Kc per person!)

You can also get a 'direct to hotel' service (480Kc for up to 4 people), which I think would be more suitable for you.

Price/info is here:
    http://www.cedaz.cz/transport-from-airp ... prague.php

I found this 'satisfied customer testamony':
    http://pkarle.tripod.com/cedaz.htm

Good luck and have a nice trip!

frosken...been there...done that! :D

4. philtepper

philtepper Member

Thanks Magan and Frosken for your very helpful responses. In order to avoid booking two taxis I think we'll opt either for bus/metro or for Cedaz direct as suggested by Frosken. We're staying at the Hotel Astoria from 16th-23rd July (Magan the drinks are on me if you're around that week!)

I wasn't aware of the Metropass but I am now - must study the message boards more carefully ... !

Phil.

5. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Thank you, but I think I will be leaving town just before you arrive Phil :wink: Don't take it personally - have to keep two homes running. :lol:

6. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Looking at the location of Hotel Astoria. Am I assuming right that it is the one at Rybna 10? Ii is actually corner of Revolucni and Department store Kotva if you want to orient yourself.

Check: If Cedaz stops at Vltava (building of that name by the river Vltava), it is no way to walk, street car (one stop) is absolutely not convenient to take due to locations of stops. If Cedaz stops in front of Kotva (I don't think so), that is great.

Consider:
    CEDAZ: taking you to Hotel Astoria compare fee for that.

METRO pass: exit arrivals, cross the street, on right are bus stops. Take bus 100 Zlicin (3 bus stops/it is end of the line anyway), take Metro B to Namesti Republiky. Take excalator on your right hand side up. You will
    see Hotel Astoria across the street on your right. Yellow colour corner building right after Kotva Department store. About 47 minutes total from airport, 20 Kc/each.

To travel by Metro is easy as there are maps everywhere. When you get downstairs by the trains, look for overhead board showing names of the Metro stops and indicating which side of the platform you get on. When in train there is map of stops over each door. To be at ease, if you decide to take Metro, I will send you list of stops so you can relax and just enjoy the ride and people watch. They also announce names of the stops. It is really easy.

It is risky not to watch your packets/bags/money on public transportation, in the crowds of tourists, crossing over the road with other people... staring at the Old Town Clock(Orloj) apostoles going by... you will be lookiong around a lot - it is beautiful city - so make sure you and your friends are safe. This is only danger for tourist.

I would also consider buying only 20 Kc ticket for each of you to get to your hotel instead of Metropass. In you location you will find more convenient to walk and it might take days of wonderful looking around old town and new town/Wenceslaw sq. etc. (still very old!). Get map and perhaps get some suggestions here later. You can walk all the way to National Theatre - very nice walk. You are in really great walking location.

You will need to take tram to Prague Castle (must see). Take same Metro one stop to Narodni Trida (good department store w/groceries in basement for buying alkohol)

To go to Castle from Narodni Trida (buy 2 tickets for you to get back), take tram no.22 or 23, (watch your packets!) get off at Pohorelec (better than Prague Castle stop). 28 minutes ride from your Metro/Hotel. See tourist info. Plan to be at the main gate before 12 noon to see changing of the guards. St. Vitus catedral is free entry unless you want to go upstairs/back.

NOT good idea to buy one of the Prague/tourist/metro/historical buildings etc. passes. Places where you would want to go are either free or not included in the Tourist pass. You will have no time to see places which are included and if you will, it will work out much much cheaper if you pay individual entry fee.

I would check/post here perhaps regarding another concern. To my knowledge, building of huge shopping mall started just across the road from your hotel. Last time I have seen it, was in mid December and it was fine. They were digging foundation, but are keeping large historical building as a front - so not seen from you hotel. I am not sure how it would look like at the time you get there. I assume that plans are to do something re trafic/Metro eventually. I don't remember dates posted on the billboard and have no idea how are they progressing.

:)

7. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Oh MY GOD..... I appologize to all readers who are sleeping now. :oops: What can I say - I love the City.