TV Reception Frequency (competibility)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music & Media' started by Viktor, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Having solved the Czech electrical house current, I now have a new query: "Are the Czech TV transmissions on the same frequency range asthey are in the US?." In other words, will an American TV set function in the Czechia?"

While in the Republic, all the TV sets that I was exposed to were the "old"70's type, with an electroinc tuner ( no stand by power that thake forever to come on and the remote control leaves much to be desired). Hence, I'm considering sending a 20" LCD (flat) to my friends( the LCD TV's have a automatic power supply (100-240V~1.5 A, 50/60 Hz)same as a notebook, so only the input cord - the same one used for the notebook will fit and only needs to be excanged. I priced some, and they are selling in CZ for 6.000 -8.000Kc, which is more than twice the US Wal-Mart price.

The Sanyo 20" set with, wall mount only weighs 10Lbs, that can be placed in the luggage with ease. I tested the "electric function", that is OK, but do not know if the frequency (channels reception) is competible. Does anyone have the answer? Thanking you in advance,

Viktor

2. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

I am afraid your gift will be kinda expensive for your friends as they wil have to pay custom fees - cf. Country Conditions for Mailing - Czech Republic (http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immicl/immiclcd_019.html):

1. Import licenses and quantity restrictions are applicable for many articles sent to the Czech Republic. Therefore, senders should ascertain from the addressee before mailing whether the contents are permitted and whether the necessary documents are held.

2. Gift shipments for the personal use of the addressee or the addressee's family do not require an import permit if the contents do not exceed 5,000 Czech Republic crowns. When the total exceeds 2,000 Czech Republic crowns, the addressee must provide a gift certificate authenticated by an authorized agent in that country. Czech Republic customs decides the value of the contents on the basis of internal prices of identical articles.

3. Ir

Ir Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on this, but I would guess there are some compatibilty problems with TVs from the US in Europe. US uses NTSC format while CR uses PAL format (like UK/Ireland). I don't know about the frequencies.

I think at the moment electronic stuff is much cheaper in the US because of the exchange rate and low VAT (sales tax). If it's of any help, maybe try some European websites of companies like Amazon that sell TVs. If electronics etc are shipped within the EU there are no customs or extra taxes, because the EU is a free trade zone.

4. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Jana:

Thank you for your input. I know what you mean about the "customs" officials. I've heard that Czechs are even worse than the Mexican Aduana, where they "openly" demand a MORDIDA (the bite, usualy 10%-15% of the value they determine, for his kids education on the side). Recently, I tried to ship to Cechia--through legal chanels -- a 24" Tricycle (2 wheels in the back with a large wire basket for cargo, to my old aunt that she could use for shopping around town).

The price of the item here is $350.00 new, but in the shipment declaration, they accessed it at 30.000Kc (from a picture) and wanted 6.500Kc duty. Hence, if I shipped it, the whole thing would come close to $1,000.00.. Therefore, I'm considering bringing it with me next fall --Sep/Oct 05 ( I know, I previously stated that it would be an other 35 years before I returned to CZ. But I've some legal business to attend to, concerning recovery of confiscated propriety, so an other trip is necessary).

Now I'm considering flying to Poland ( I understand that Polish customs are more understanding when comming into the country), take the bus to the Czech border and ride the cycle accross, and then board a bus for Vysoke Myto.

Thus if the TV is competible, I can bring it with me, on the tricycle, as a personal use item. That is allowed -- duty free -- the same way as they allow notebooks, CD players etc, to cross. I'll give it a try, and the money I save, will almost pay for the airfare. There is more than one way to skin a cat!

Viktor

PS. For some unknown resons, bicycles are very expensive in CZ -- the same "Made in China" bicycle one buys here at Wal-Mart for $79.00 in the CZ bicycle shops sell for 12,000Kc to 14.000Kc ( I was trying/shopping to buy a tricycle in CZ --Prague, Jablonec, Liberec, Hradec Kralove and Vysoke Myto --for her, but they do not seem to to have them available or import them) ???

5. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Ir:

That is a taught, since I need to go theough London en route to CZ. If purchased it in a duty free store, will a non EU citizen allowed to transport it withoput paying duty to CZ?

How much does a LCD (flat) 20" TV cost in UK or Ireland? I assume that "all" the prices in the EU are fixed to curb competition between EU countries. Here in the US, a 20" is in the $500.00 to $600.00 (E300 to E400)?

Viktor

6. Ir

Ir Well-Known Member

Viktor,

I think if you buy anything duty free in EU airports, you have to show a boarding card for your flight out of the EU. So I don't think that idea will work.

Electronics prices are absolutely not harmonised within the EU. There can be a big difference from country to country. And strangely, the prices are often high in countries like the Czech Republic but low in perhaps UK or Germany. VAT (sales tax) is very different from country to country too. But anything you buy (duty paid) in one EU country you can take anywhere in the EU, no problem.

For UK prices, you could try browsing the TV sections on these websites:

www.amazon.co.uk

www.currys.co.uk

www.dixons.co.uk

www.argos.co.uk

I hope this is of some help! :)

PS regarding your point about competition between EU countries, unfortunately there is not much competition in retail as far as I can see. Very few UK / Irish people buy things from the rest of the EU. Partly it is a language thing, but also a currency thing. For example, even though Ireland uses the Euro, you can't send a cheque to France or Germany - it won't work! They tell you, 'the banking system is different' etc (Credit cards work though) Wine and cigarettes are much cheaper in France etc compared to UK/Ireland, but you have to go there and bring those things back yourself