The Czech look

Talk about Czech customs, traditions, holidays, books, and the Czech way of life.

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, Dana

withoutaim

Postby withoutaim » 04-Aug-05 22:03

Ahoj!

It's very interesting to know that we - the Czechs - have "typical" appearance:)) I think you can find all ethnic types among the Czechs. A Czech can look like a typical Swede as well as a typical Italian. But I've heard about quite an interesting story about the Czech look: Reinhard Heydrich was deeply angry with the Czechs for looking more nordic than the inhabitants of Bavaria according to the racial research he ordered.

I like this characterization of the Czech look I read in the book called "Nebe pod Berlínem" about - "The Czechs are made of Slavonic mucles, German skelet and Celtic spirit!:)

Jirka:)
Dan

Postby Dan » 04-Aug-05 22:52

I am around quite a few Czech Americans because the Catholic parish that I belong to in the states has many families that came from Czech lands.

Seems to me that physical traits can be all over the board but there does seem to be a tendency toward eyes that are blue, gray, or hazel rather than brown. Most hair color seems to be a shade of brown.

The most prominent feature though seems to be a nose that is usually longer and perhaps more noticeable compared to Euros farther west or north.

Having sais this, though, I be if you gave me a picture of 10 people with 5 Czechs in it, I would have trouble picking out the Czechs.

Regards to everyone,
Dan
Serek

Postby Serek » 18-Aug-05 20:25

I'm half Czech, a quarter Bavarian, and a quarter Hungarian, and both my parents have light brown hair and dark eyes. My hair, however, is almost black, and my eyes are darker. does anyone know which of my nationalities this comes from?
Jana

Postby Jana » 18-Aug-05 21:36

I'm half Czech, a quarter Bavarian, and a quarter Hungarian, and both my parents have light brown hair and dark eyes. My hair, however, is almost black, and my eyes are darker. does anyone know which of my nationalities this comes from?

It is your Hungarian blood - dark hair, dark eyes... and maybe quick-tempered as well?
Serek

Postby Serek » 18-Aug-05 21:39

eh...quick to anger, quick to forgive, I guess. Thanks for that clarification.
kjung

Postby kjung » 19-Aug-05 15:20

These well-defined cheekbones (which I would probably describe as "Germanic") tend to make guys very attractive, but give a little too much robustness to girls, IMHO.

well, I was speaking only of cheekbones, not of Czech girls, I hardly know any!
withoutaim

Postby withoutaim » 19-Aug-05 17:32

Well, but I think marked cheek-bones are one of many reasons why Czech girls are very successful in (top)modeling. :D
Sova

Postby Sova » 24-Aug-05 17:00

I was often told I looked Czech, although I am 1/2 English/Scottish/Welsh, 1/4 Danish, and 1/4 German. Hmm ...
withoutaim

Postby withoutaim » 24-Aug-05 17:18

Some people considered me to be a German (somewhen even a French), though I'm 3/4 Czech and 1/4 Slovak. :D
kjung

Postby kjung » 25-Aug-05 12:23

withoutaim wrote:Some people considered me to be a German (somewhen even a French), though I'm 3/4 Czech and 1/4 Slovak. :D

Some people consider me Czech though I am 0% Czech! :lol: