American soldiers in CR

Discussion in 'Culture' started by dan reese, Feb 18, 2007.

1. dan reese

dan reese New Member

What is the very generalized perception of America's involvement in the middle-east and perception of American soldiers?
    I ask because I have an opportunity to visit CR and the towns were my family emigrated from but I am in the military and its pretty obvious from the way I look. Should I try to grow long hair and a beard :lol:

2. eso

eso Well-Known Member

War in Iraq isn't generaly supported here. But peple are more interested in anti-missile radar base, which USA want build to here.

I doubt it will be obvious for people here that you are military from short hair and absence of beard. Hairstyles or clothes are very various here. And military doesn't mean just USA military.

Anyway, I don't think you'll have any problems, even if you will wear an uniform.

You stand a few frowning stares, do you? :)

Because Americans sometimes, from some reasons, are upset from fact, that here people don't smile like clowns ;))
    / just joke :)/

3. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Ahh... but Czech people do smile - when they are happy, with their friends, or even when meeting a stranger - they just don't walk down the street with a grin on their faces. I have seen many wonderful Czech smiles.

Don't worry about what you look like - you will be judged not by how you look but by how you act - don't be an "Ugly American". Learn a little Czech (if you don't already know some), be polite, and enjoy all the wonderful things the Czech Republic has to offer. You will have a great time - enjoy your trip.

BTW, as an American, I can't agree with everything the Military is doing but be assured that I appreciate you and your service and thank you for it.

4. Atiatawikowa

Atiatawikowa New Member

I have been studying Czech- not easy but learning a new language never is. Ive got a book, some cds and a few great websites...making progress. My Grandmother, after professing that she didnt remember how to speak Bohemian at all, started remembering tons of stuff once I said a few words. Her parents came from Pisec and Pilsen in 1890s. Thats why Im hoping to visit CR- to track down the old homestead, as it were. Hopefully I could at least make myself understood in the most basic way by the time I get there.
    Thanks a bunch
    Dekuji.
    Dan

5. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Dan, thank you so much for your service to our country. I can't tell you how much my family and I appreciate it. I hope you enjoy your time in the CR.

6. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

WE IN THIS COUNTRY, IN THIS GENERATION, ARE
    -- BY DESTINY RATHER THAN CHOICE –
    THE WATCHMEN ON THE WALLS OF WORLD FREEDOM.
    WE ASK, THEREFORE, THAT WE MAY BE WORTHY
    OF OUR POWER AND RESPONSIBILITY,
    THAT WE MAY EXERCISE OUR STRENGTH
    WITH WISDOM AND RESTRAINT,
    AND THAT WE MAY ACHIEVE IN OUR TIME
    AND FOR ALL TIME THE ANCIENT VISION OF
    “PEACE ON EARTH, GOOD WILL TOWARD MEN.”
    THAT MUST ALWAYS BE OUR GOAL,

AND THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF OUR CAUSE
    MUST ALWAYS UNDERLIE OUR STRENGTH.
    FOR AS WAS WRITTEN LONG AGO:
    “EXCEPT THE LORD KEEP THE CITY,
    THE WATCHMAN WAKETH BUT IN VAIN.”

JOHN FITZGERALD KENNEDY
    35TH PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

Such a smart president!!! I hope that the US goals since 1963 have not been changed.

7. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I like the "wisdom and restraint" part. Unfortunately, the opposition (particularly the suicide bombers and the like) in Iraq shows neither. :evil: It makes for quite the dilemma.

8. Kevinvsn13

Kevinvsn13 Member

Ahoj,
    I am curious about the missle defense idea that the US wants to build in CZ. When I first heard the idea on the news it angered me to hear of the US in Cz. I hope the Czechs to not allow the US in the country, the US is only bad news, I would know I am Czech but live in the US. Please tell the Czech people that the US is a horrible nation that only lies, you have seen what they have done to other countries.

9. eso

eso Well-Known Member

I guess you are long time in USA already, because this kind of resolute, simple-good-or-evil-opposite opinion isn't prevalent for Czech mentality.

10. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got curious too, seeing this guy's in Texas of all places, and complaining about the US. He says in another post he's US-born and mostly Czech. Whatever that means. One parent? Three out of four grandparents? Not making fun, mind you, but if you have such a low opinion of the country you're living in, why would you stay there?

11. dzurisova

It saddens me that most internationals are given the idea that Americans hate their own country. It's simply not the case for the most part. Of course you have a few non-patriots in every country, but for the most part Americans love America. Just look at the reaction to 911.

However, these days, to have a low opinion of America is considered sheik. It's pushed by Hollywood and the media because they hate George Bush. Movies filled with propaganda are made by the likes of Michael Moore and Al Gore simply to deface George Bush. So thanks to a republican being in the white house, the Hollywood elite push the idea that America is awful. When Clinton was there, they didn't push this anti-patriotism. I guess they can't decipher hating a man vrs hating a country. Many young people, who respect and try to be like the Hollywood elite blindly fall into this way of thinking. Some older ones do as well unfortunately.

However, for the most part, Americans are proud to be in America and have NO intention of leaving. They may give complains that we don't have national health care, but if we did, they'd complain about loosing 70% of their paycheck to taxes. I'm not saying America is perfect, but someone once said "You can judge a country by it's immigration problems." It's not like we have a problem with everyone wanting to leave. :wink:

So regardless of what Kevinvsn13 is saying here, please don't get the impression that the majority of Americans feel this way. It's simply the majority of Hollywood and the press making these kinds of statements because Bush is in the white house. If a democrat were in the White House, you would hear a whole new song from the Hollywood elite/liberal media. Unfortunately, since the liberal press hates Bush, the international news is filled with Anti-American sentiment. Then non-Americans are left with the idea that "if American's own people hate her, she must be bad."

I guess what I'm saying is please don't believe everything you read, many times, it's merely the author's opinion.

12. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

13. dzurisova

Thanks Sova,

I first had sheek but knew it wasn't spelled right so online dictionary said:

sheik: Slang. a man held to be masterful and irresistibly charming to women.

So then I thought, "well that's kind of what I'm trying say" that it's considered charming to think America is bad so perhaps that's the right spelling.

But I should have known it was chic since one of my favorite hgtv shows is Sensible Chic! :wink:

14. Kevinvsn13

Kevinvsn13 Member

Hey Ceit, I do not understand what all the Hollywood talk was about, but I was born here in Texas because of previous generations coming here. I have Czech from my mother and father. Beleive me, I am working on moving out of the US. I just never have liked it here and I have never understood this country.

15. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Just a word to the wise, Kevin. When you leave for the Czech Republic, don't immediately burn all your bridges in the U.S. I've found that while many Americans (including 2nd, 3rd generation Czech-Americans) find the Czech Republic to be a great place to visit, but not to live. Experiences vary, and perhaps it will work out wonderfully for you. I guess I'm simply advising that you look before you leap. Go for a year or so if you can (assuming you haven't already), while still maintaining job prospects, etc. back in the states. Then you'll have a little more experience to judge whether or not you want to make the move permanent.

As for the America-bashing, I think you are viewing things way too black and white. Even if you are assuming the worst only about the U.S. government (i.e. "U.S. is a horrible nation only lies"), I think that is an extremely overgeneralizing, stereotypical attitude. Certainly, the U.S. has done some horrible things in the past, particularly recently, and that in the end our government is in place to serve the best interests of the American people, not the rest of the world. However, that is no excuse to make such inflammatory statements in such a broad scope. Remember as well, that no other country has contributed more to disaster relief, hunger, and medical need around the world as the U.S. (and not just private citizens contribute to this, but the government as well). Just a thought.

16. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Just saw your post from 11 June dzurisovak. Hear! Hear!
    Nicely said.
    America.....neither the devil nor perfection.
    But, man, I love her.
    The partisanship and hateful words is worse than I can remember.
    But that's America, they got a right to say it even if it's not true.
    Lots of room for improvement, no doubt, but we're pretty good people.

You found a great poem Ajíke.

Wer....it's.....you can stand(take,tolerate) a few frowns or stares, can't you?

17. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Did I understand correctly that America is “she”? Like ships?
    What? :shock:
    Yep I can, but I think this is my first post in this thread…
    …so I miss your point.

18. scrimshaw

Hmmm..not sure. To me, she sounds right. Could use IT to, but to me she, sounds more intimate, more caring.

Could be....America, she's a beautiful country or it's a beautiful country.

Quote:
    Wer....it's.....you can stand(take,tolerate) a few frowns or stares, can't you?

What?
    Yep I can, but I think this is my first post in this thread?
    ?so I miss your point.

Wer, I had the correcting bug in me, so I corrected something you wrote earlier here. Go back a page or two in this topic. I always appreciate corrections, so I thought I'd offer one.

19. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Aaah, I see it now. But it was not me, that was eso’s post.

Of course, your corrections of my English are also welcomed.

20. scrimshaw

Máš pravdu Wer. Byl Eso ten, kdo to napsal. Moje chyba.
    Ok, I will make corrections when I can.