Bůh ti žehnej--Christian signatures to end letters

Discussion in 'General Language' started by Karel_lerak, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

Moderator edit (Sova): Split from original topic Bohemian and Moravian

Bůh ti žehnej, Ježíš tě miluje!
    8)

2. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Well that's not exactly what I'm trying to say. I was trying to say

God bless you, with love from Jesus

It's more of a sign off of a letter. One might end a letter saying, "with love, Katka" or "With Love from Christ, Katka" or "God Bless You, Katka" or even both "God Bless You, With love from Christ, Katka"

That's a little different than Jesus loves you.

But it looks like I've gotten the post off topic again. So sorry!

3. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Sorry, but speaking in terms of somebody else’s love is weird concept in Czech. God can bless you only with God’s love and Christ’s love needs Christ as subject. Karel’s bypassing is quite fitting.

4. dzurisova

Hmmm, that is quite interesting. It seems to me there must be a way to say it. I will have to ask Czech Christians. Not that I'm doubting your words wer, but most Christians believe the love of Christ dwells within them and they are to pass it on to others therefore, many Christians end a letter or note by saying "With the love of Christ, [name]" I said that to Ájík because he is a professed Christian and it was a way of saying "please don't get upset that I came across boldly, it was in Christian love"

Once again, I'm sorry that I took this post off topic, perhaps a moderator can move it to the translation section. Je mi líto :)

5. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

I know my translation is not exact, but I tried to find out, what czech christian would probably say.

"With love from Christ"
    "S Kristovou láskou" - never heard this, but why not

more often, but in another context :)

"pro lásku Boží!"
    "pro Kristovu lásku!"
    "pro Kristovy rány!"

I think that we (and the christians here) don't use the Christ name as often as probably in the USA.

6. doman

doman Well-Known Member

When in Rome, do as Romans do !
    I thought, the languages aren't exception.
    Meaning's alike, but parlance is different... :?

We created jobs for moderator, :) and made the topic more abudent, didn't we ? :D

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Yes, there’s, but you have to approach it in a different way - God as the originator of love and Christ as an intermediator, for example.

Bůh tě požehnej svou láskou skrze Ježíše Krista (, který žije v nás).
    =
    God bless you with His (= God’s) Love through Jesus Christ (who is living in us).

I think the problem arises from the fact you use “bless with something” in English. In Czech we use “požehnat + instrumental” with no preposition. So, another possibility could be:

Bůh tě požehnej láskou Ježíše Krista.
    =
    God bless you with the love of Jesus Christ.

But the latter seems be unusual to me.

8. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

Really Katka "with the love of Christ" - exactly as it is- there is no way how to say it in Czech. We used to say "v lásce Kristově, [name]" (in Christ love).

The phrase "with the love of Christ" may be fully translated as "s láskou od Krista" or "s Kristovou láskou" which we can understand well, but it sounds strange.

9. eso

eso Well-Known Member

My grandmother was catholic and she almost never mentioned Christ, everytime only God's name.

10. dzurisova

What do you mean, "used" to say it. Are you saying that it was used in the past but is no longer used? Or do you mean, we use...

Everyone, thank you very much for all your help. And yes Doman, I guess we are creating jobs for the moderators. Thank you moderators as well. :wink: :)

11. dzurisova

Yes, I believe it is mostly used with Evangelical Christians. Wikipedia does a good job, IMHO, of giving a brief explaination of evangelicalism.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelicalism

12. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

Of course we use to ... . :wink: Sorry Katka.

13. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Yes, I thank you for finding genuine reasons for My Czech Republic to continue paying my salary (which boils down to giving me more excuses to frequent this site). :wink: :lol: