Bad Attitude - Con's - Police

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by the dark one, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Jana:

That is true indeed, I do not bite the hand that feeds me! The land that gave citizenship, when I was statelss, because my own land/people decided to revoke my birhtright!

I just can's help wondering about you. I was always told, there are two kinds of expats -- the ones that had to leave thier homeland due to political opression and the ones that left due to economic reasons, that had to leave because they could not make a livng in their homeland!

When did you come over to the "stolen land", after 1989? Hope you have a valid visa, so you do not have to grumble with the rest of the disguntled "illegals" that were deported for overstaying on their visitor or student visas, now roaming the streets of Prague spouting anti-american propaganda.

I participate in the myczechrepublic as a matter of personal interest, and do not beleive that they required a member to show their communist party affiliation -- it's a free world out here!

Welcome to the US and hope you enjoy it. Good luck...

Viktor

2. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Next time you admire one of these cathedrals or castle, try to immagine the construction crew and under what conditions they had to labor. Perhaps that will deminish the austetic value of the monument and can be viewed as a monument to the cruelty man is capable of inflicting upon another... [/quote]

Viktor, you really ought to learn history. I'm sure that the only thing you know about the Masonic Order is that they are guys who wear funny hats and drive funny little cars. In the Middle Ages, when castles and cathedrals were built, stonemasons were masters of the craft and the creme de la creme of the working classes. It was a truly international brotherhood; they moved across the continent from one building site to another and everywhere their skills were highly appreciated. Proud as peacocks, they formed lodges to take care of their own and developed rituals that later degenerated into the funny hats you know. Even some kings (for instance Louis XV) found masonic membership fashionable. The stone masons certainly did not earn union wages but then no one else did in those days.

So next time, when you look at a castle or a cathedral, admire the exquisite craftsmanship and don't worry about cruelty.

3. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Eva2:

I'm aware and admire the craft & mastership, and the craftsmen wee well paid or give special previlages but someone had to pay for it! This was indeed in a period of famine, malnutrition and horrible livng conditions for the human race in general -- endenture and servitute was the rule of the time.

Indeed, the magnificent structures are to be admired, but never the less it doest attest to the "priorities" of the rulers and the prevailing religious orders as they regarded their servants/subjects. I see these structures as a testament of man's cruelty to man. How does one justify the greatness and glorification of the powerfull 1% at the expense of 99% of humanity.

Well, as Jana put it: "there is something wrong with me", for thru my eyes, I see these magnicifent monuments as sacrificial altars of human sufferage, that only served the rulers/aristocracy self glorification to impose mortal fear to assure obedience/complience to the tax collectors demands. That is how I see this historical record.

Prague is indeed a magnicifent city, rich in history but this beauty also masks the wast human suffering that was necessary for it's creation...

Viktor

4. szarkafarka

szarkafarka Well-Known Member

It is not specific for Europe!

In the quote you can replace "the (European) castles and cathedrals" with

- the Egyptian pyramids
    - the Great Wall of China
    - the Solomon's Temple
    - the Maya pyramids
    - the Taj Mahal
    - etc. etc.

And what about the Panama Canal or the U.S.A. railways? How many lifes did it take?

5. szarkafarka

szarkafarka Well-Known Member

I am not a historian and this is skating on thin ice for me. Nevertheless ...

The Aztec, Maya, Inca, etc., aristocracies were cruel conquerors, too. Moreover, the Aztecs practiced human sacrifice on a scale which revolted the soldiers of Imperial Spain, a culture which in other respects was very similar to that of the Aztecs, as Cortes remarked in his letters.

6. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Well, maybe there are two kinds of expats, but there are other kinds of people living in US as well. I did not leave my homeland, I just happened to meet an American who had come to Europe to visit the continent of his ancestors. He fell in love with the Czech country and he fell in love with me. So we got married and lived in the CR for several years and now he thinks is the right time for me to enjoy the beauties of his native country. Do not worry, I do not need any visa, I am a legal resident here and I do not consider myself as an expat at all. I am and I will always be a Czech citizen, aware of all imperfections of my country and trying to do my best to help it improve and develop, because it is my homeland, my Czech Republic.

7. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

The Panama Canal & Railways, are projects that "serve" societies needs --that improve the human condition, not just aestetic -- self glorification!

As Hemingway styted:"you can't come home again", may apply to you sometime in the future Jana...You'll notice if and when you return home, from then on you will be reffered to as : "Ta Americanka". This was the main reason my parents never returned "home" after 1989, they realized that eventhough, when they left in 1949 --also thinking that this was only temporary, and they'll return after it blows over --going home agion is n longer possible.

This thread began by me commenting on mu accomodations in Prague --Fleas and lice (Travel Tips) -- and now we've gotten into a political discussion that has nothing to do with the original topic. Hence, if needed, we should move this topic to the appropriate section (not Czech related) before a moderator rightfully kicks us out of here...

Viktor

8. usak

usak Well-Known Member

ive never been to the CR. But i have been to Mexico and Canada and i live in the southern USA (Alabama). I have traveled to northern US and there i found a culture very different from my own. People that look at you funny if you smile/ greet / hold door for them or just talk to them at all. But also in the north i have been places where people were fairly friendly.
    In Mexico (Cancun) the people were friendly, but I went to a tourist sort of town that was practically American, but there people would try to cheat you as well.
    In Canada (Montreal) the people were friendly and did not try to cheat me at all.

Conclusion- There are rude people everywhere, sometimes one region of a country may behave differently from other regions. People everywhere need to make a living, some people try to do this by cheating others- this is fairly common ( hell i have my share of stories of this kind happening in the US ). I wouldn't judge a country by one city, especially if that city is Prague. Judging the US by New York or Washington DC would not do the country justice, just as im sure judging the Czech Rewpublic just by Praha doesn't do it justice.

Just observations..

Oh and the Panama Canal and railways were built by people willing... They were payed. Maybe it wasnt the best job, but it may have been the only one they could get. From what I know of the construction of the pyramids it wasnt that cruel... Maybe i have my facts wrong but i thought the Eqyptians provided housing for the workers? maybe even more.. i can't remember.

9. My Czech Republic

My Czech Republic Administrator

This note is a little late in coming, but... Just wanted to let you know that it absolutely is allowed to post the names of places that you would like to recommend or, on the contrary, warn others about. That's what this forum is for. If you had a bad experience somewhere, received rotten customer service, were overcharged or paid a premium for lousy food, please post the name of the place so others know not to give them their business.

10. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Well if put it this way, I'll spill the beans: The flea infested abode is the Pension Patanka, in Dejvice. They also advertize that they are only 5 minutes from public transportation. Well going down hill it may be the truth, but in reality the location is 300 meters uphill on a 10%-11% grade, more suitible for a moutain climber (I'm a disabled veterean that requires a cane to ambulate, and the booking agent was informed of the fact).

There is also a great restaurant 300 meters further up the hill on Baba(this is even steeper), Na Stare Fare, where they serve traditional Czech cousine -- even homemade dumplings w/ crutons (none of the commercial mushy stuff)-- good portions and 12% beer up to the line for 16Kc and most meals are in the 56-86Kc range, which includes the soup of the day. However, if you want roast duck w/red and green zely or vepro, knedlo, zelo, you need to order it one day in advance( I had both on consecutive days). For 105Kc I had : soup , roast duck (fresh out of the oven), and 1/2L of 12% (to the line).

To solve the uphill 300 meter climb, I would take the metro to Hradcany, and there transfer to bus 135 (20 minute ride and 12Kc). On a full stomach, going back downhill was not so bad and it helped in the digestion of the duck.

I would recomend Na State Fare for the next "get together " you have. They even have big garden, from where you can see the "Big Green Star" that still sits ontop of the new/remodeled Carlton Hotel, and where one can enjoy the meal and beer (they even keep pouring the 12% without trying to swich it to a 10%, as is the practice in so many establishments in Prague, after you had a few ) provinding it is not raining. The "only "draw back" would be, that no one speaks English there (the older folks alos speak German and the younger ones Russian), But the food is good, fresh and warm --no greesy cold stuff!

As you can see, my trip to the Czech Republic was not "all" bad..

Viktor

11. My Czech Republic

My Czech Republic Administrator

Hi Viktor,

Thanks for recommending the Na staré faře restaurant. It may be a little out of the way for a get-together, but it's always good to know that there are places like that.

Dana
    My Czech Republic

12. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Thanks Victor. I cut and pasted and it is on my "to do" list. Will be in Prague in September for three months, so it will come handy. How does it look inside? I am looking for some place to invite whole bunch of friends for Czech dinner (refuse to cook!). Duck would be great.

13. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Magan:

The inside dining area at Na Stare Fare has about 10 large (family size) tables that sit aprox 8-10, and the garden area in the back ( 25'x25') has about 10 four seaters with umbrelas . There is also a small bar area --4/5 tables - for the only drinking crowd.On the street side thay also have an ice cream parlor with a few tables. There ia also ample free parking i their own lot (bus #135 stop right in front of the entry door)

This establishment seems to be family oriented --have seen people bring children in the afternoon and weekends -- during luch hours, the placr is ferquented by working people (singles sharing tables) and Saturday & Sunday couples seem to gravitate to the gardenI do not know if they take reservations, but for the times I was there (about 8 different days) the place was fairly full. While in Prague this was my favorite place, but I'm not the party animal I once used to be, about 30 years ago...Two 1/2L is my limit!

It is a layed back family place, no loud crowds or music, where one can actuly have a conversation and be heard without having to scream...
    Hope you also enjoy it, as I did..

Viktor

14. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me, Victor. I just hope that they have non smoking section (or we will sit outside). Thanks.

15. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Magan:

During my recent visit to the Czech Republic, I've noticed that all the "eating establishments" have a house rule --No smoking is allowed, during the periods when meals are served -- and that includes the patio, if people are eating there! I guess they do not need laws for that, but merely use commom sence. You may also notice, although there are no signs at the Metro/Train stations, no one smokes there eighter-- just common courtesy I guess...

Viktor

16. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Thanks Victor. We are from Canada, so non-smokers and did not like smoking so I always inquire - just in case. Thanks for your help.

Sorry, that you had some miserable experiences in Prague. It is absolutely fabulous city.

17. Viktor

Viktor Well-Known Member

Magan:

My experince in Prague was not "that bad", to call it miserable. I was only dissapointed about the "hygiene", and sorry I did not bring along (as I usualy do when taveling to Central/South America and Asia) the trusty cans of Lysol and Raid. Prague is OK, but I found the accomodation prices a bit too steep for what they offered. Accomodations that are one or two hours by bus --smaller towns -- I found much better accomodations at atleast 66% cheaper and clean, and the people much friendlier that are gald to see a "forgein visitor". Outside of Prague I've found that the median rate for accomodations is between 250 to 400Kc P/N, and they make the beds daily! The only drawback in smaller towns, is that most businesses all close down for the weekend (1/2 day on Saturday and completly closed on Sundays).

For those who travel to the Czech Republic to research their genelogy/ family history, I would recomend trying the "out of town" housing. Since, all state archives and matrika offices are only open to the public on Mondays and Wednesdays anyway -- so to make the bus trip to Prague at 200Kc or less for a round trip is much more economical - and the beer is even cheaper in smaller towns, at 14Kc (10%) and 16Kc (12%) for a 1/2Lt, to the line!

Viktor

18. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

I'd have interpreted this gesture as "This is not my job. Sorry, I don't understand your language." :lol:

19. Qcumber

You were probably speaking in a foreign language, and the driver didn't have the slightest idea of what you were talking about. :lol:

20. Qcumber

I didn't notice any lack of hygiene in Prague. To me Prague and its inhabitants are cleaner than London and New York and their inhabitants.