Buying A Laptop

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by PatK100, Apr 10, 2005.

1. PatK100

PatK100 Active Member

Hi,

I am visiting Prague next month. I need to buy a new laptop - a good brand something like a Dell.

I was wondering whether or not it would be cheaper to buy in Prague or the UK.

If it's cheaper in Prague can anyone recommend a good place to buy from.

Many thanks

Pat

2. pete904ni

pete904ni New Member

OK so I can't tell you anything about buying in Prague, but do yourself a favour and avoid Dell - worst 'brand' avaiable

3. anu

anu Well-Known Member

hi! what's wrong with dell?! i'm not a computer expert, but i've got a dell notebook since last autumn and i really like to work on it... :roll:

4. crossczech

crossczech Active Member

hey, guys, pls no flameware on notebooks brand.

the only reason i would buy a notebook in prague, being a forreigner, is that one can get VAT back, which now makes some 19%, and dependingly on the way of tax returning (fully in the shop or with comission deducted when cashing it in the tax free point at the airport) it is worth considering.

HOWEVER:
    1. not all shops, in particular computer shops, support tax free.
    2. warranty issue. well, big brands have all-european or even worldwide guarrantee and service support, but it is not common. and it is not czech issue at all, it depends on the brand policy. (well, my toshiba does have it ;-])
    3. DELL in particular targets more corporate then end customer market, so i REALLY doubt you can get it in czech rep. on better conditions than in your country.

5. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

I am not sure of this - within the EU, I believe you pay local VAT in the country where you buy st., and there is no getting it back. I might be wrong, of course...

6. crossczech

crossczech Active Member

oh, sure - i forgot; of course tax back does not work within EU.

therefore, i do not see a point in buying consumer electronics in czech republic, AFAIK the prices are not significantly better (if at all).

thanks Halef for this point.