(CZ->EN) Správná holčina

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by S2kDriver, Dec 26, 2005.

1. S2kDriver

S2kDriver Well-Known Member

Hello, I was just wondering if someone can translate the following sentence for me. My girlfriend has this on her page on one of the directory/friends sites and I'm not sure what this phrase means. Is she trying to pull a fast one on me looking for other guys by any chance or am I just being paranoid? I looked up the word "holcina" in the Czech dictionary and the English translation is "slut" and "hooker" :shock: but it says (zert.) next to the translation. Does zert mean that its stated in a joking manner? Please help - thanks in advance.

"Správná holcina,která si zaslouzí být vase kamarádka."

2. Rommie

Rommie Well-Known Member

Hi!
    I thing you´re paranoid :) Holcina is just a word for girl, nothing more or less. We use it frequently, in informal conversation.
    I´m not sure, but that phrase says something like "Right (or good)girl, which deserves to be your friend."
    And žertovně...yes, using as a joke. 8)
    Bye

3. S2kDriver

Thanks for the reply - I guess it's a relief. :p Though, I don't know why she wrote "správná" in there (the "right" friend sounds strange lol). And kamarádka only means "friend", right?

And how do you say "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" in Czech? I haven't been able to find a direct translation in Czech for those words.

Thanks in advance for your help. :D

4. Ladis

Ladis Well-Known Member

Yes, "kamarádka" means a (female) friend.

"boyfriend / girlfriend" = "přítel / přítelkyně" (male / female). In the meaning "friend", we use both "kamarád(ka)" and "přítel(kyně)", but when used in the meaning boyfriend/girlfriend, we use "přítel(kyně)" only. Thus we often try to avoid using "přítel(kyně)" when it's not in the meaning boyfriend/girlfriend ;).

5. wer

wer Well-Known Member

The word 'kamarád(ka)' is related to English 'comrade'.

Expressing 'boyfriend/girlfriend' in Czech is problematic. Using of 'přítel/přítelkyně' in this context is something new. I think It's influence of English. It is'nt used by older people. Originally it means only friend but very good friend - see Czech proverb 'V nouzi poznáš přítele' (= In need you recognize a friend, A friend in need is a friend indeed). Sometimes we use also 'kluk/holka' (= boy/girl) in connection with possessive pronoun but it also depends on context and intonation. E.g. 'Tohle je moje holka' could means 'This is my girlfriend' and 'This is my daughter' and also 'This girl is my cup of tea'. In formal speech (e.g. in law) terms 'druh/družka' (= companion) and 'partner/partnerka' are used.

'Správný/správná' means 'right, correct, appropriate or fitting'. In connection with people it means 'fine, great'.

6. S2kDriver

Thanks for the clarification all. :D

7. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

introducing your boyfriend or girlfriend you could also say
    "muj chlapec" or "moje devce"

8. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

"Správná holcina, která si zaslouzí být vase kamarádka."

This is a completely innocent sentence not specifically targeted at either gender. It means:

"A cool girl who deserves to be your friend." ("friend" in the sense of "pal", not "girlfriend")