Czech filler words...

Discussion in 'General Language' started by fishandchips, Sep 25, 2007.

1. fishandchips

fishandchips Member

Ahoj! English has "umm" or "like" as filler words in their speech, so I was wondering what word fillers there are in Czech everyday language? I frequently hear "tak," but that means 'so'...

Dekuju!

2. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

tak - so
    nicméně - nevertheless
    jako - like
    umm - eeeee (in fact a neutral vowel, very long schwa)
    v zásadě - basically

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

nó...

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

tó...
    tedy
    v podstatě

5. Petr_B

Petr_B Well-Known Member

How comes nobody has mentioned "prostě" or "[teda] vlastně [teda]" yet? Or are those used only here in Moravia? Some people are able to use it like 10 times during 3-5 sentences. :evil:

6. wer

wer Well-Known Member

No, it is used in Bohemia as well.

70’s … vole
    80’s … viď, hele
    90’s … vlastně

And also there are the question tags “…, že?”, “…, že ano?”, “…, že jo?” and “…, žeeeeeeeeeeee?”.

7. eso

eso Well-Known Member

"samozřejmě"

Every person has their own favorite filler words.

Personaly, I often subconsciously mimic people about me.
    If I work or live with someone for while, I tend to use his filler words :)

8. Eleshar

"vole" is not only from 70's but it is common filler word (in fact I do not think it is a filler word, it is something like diacritics) among certain groups of people (large groups of people) even today.

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Actually, i should write more about this "nóóó...". As I am from Ostrava region, where we tend to speak "shortly", and i tend to put this filling word into sentences even if I am speaking english (when need to think about the answer), couple of times I experienced it was pretty confusing for person I was talking to:

Code:
    Someone: "Are you going to cinema tonight?"
    Me: "Nó..." (thinking) 
    My "nó" as filling word was interpreted as english "no" :)

10. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

And of course, if that isn't confusing enough, Czech is the only language I know of that "no" can mean "yes." :)

11. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I hear a lot of "no..yo" while nodding. My first thought is: "make a decision is it no or yo (knowing that yo means yes). Then I have to conciously correct myself realizing that "no" means well.

12. wer

wer Well-Known Member

:D

And what do you think of the Czech phrase “fakt jo”? :twisted:

13. Eleshar

In fact, in Modern Greek, the word pronounced /ne/ (and written ναι) means "yes":)))

14. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

And I understand that in Bulgaria and Albania (and maybe some other places) a up-down head nod means "no."

15. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Probably about the same as the what the Czechs think about the English word "peachy."

16. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Yep, I definitely have to correct my interpretation when I hear the word "fakt"! [​IMG]

In India, they shake their head for "yes".

What do Czechs think of the word "peachy"?

17. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

When I was in India on business, I had the most difficult time with them saying "yes" and shaking their heads side to side and saying "no" and shaking their heads up and down. Even after I learned it, it still confused me.....fackt yo.... (the Czech way)

18. Troll

Troll Well-Known Member

Yesterday I watched on TV a long programme about the recycling of wastes with many experts and common people. I realized that the most abused word (at least in TV utterances) is

vlastně (= really, actually, virtually, as a matter of fact, indeed, etc.)

Nearly everybody used it, some of them in every second sentence.

In a low level speech the most frequent filler is probably jako (= like). The Vietnamese stallkeepers use it as every second word (pronounced jakóó).

19. Troll

Troll Well-Known Member

The word "peachy" is not too frequent in English. So we usually have no opportunity to think something of it.

In the German department stores the most shocking (and ubiquitous) words are "Kunden" and "Kundinnen" :roll: (shoppers, purchasers), e.g. Kunden-WC :oops: .

20. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

For us (at least for me) is not a problem deciphering words like "peachy". I translated three episodes of Gilmore Girls (unofficial subtitles), so I learnt to use Urban Dictionary as often as I could.

In fact, this is much more confusing than Bulgarian nodding. At first, I was pretty confused when people answering my questions "ναι/ne/no" :), despite it I know the words before I came to Greece (I only learnt four - please, thanks, yes and no :) )